63: but love runs deep

Start from the beginning

Before Rob could fall through the trees' canopies, the resulting blast hit him.

He was tossed away, the speed too great for him to see anything. Rob closed his eyes and sighed. At that speed, there was little else he could do.

Well... at least Léon wouldn't be forced to use that shite anymore.

Not with this gun, Anhangá whispered in his thoughts. I suppose we'll have to find the other. Won't we... my sweet one?

Rob chuckled. Something cold swirled in his stomach, and he knew Anhangá had noticed that. Rob ignored the image of the smirk in his thoughts and said,

I guess we do, An... if we survive.

In his mind, Anhangá let out a hearty laugh.

Almost as in response to it, vines sprung from amidst the trees and wrapped around Rob's torso, arms, and legs. They stretched and broke for at least ten meters until Rob finally slowed down enough. The vines embraced him, then brought him slowly to the floor, safe and secure.

As Anhangá left his body, so did the extra energy that kept him up, so Rob fell on his knees, then face first on the dirt. Now in his human form, Anhangá smiled and turned around in time to catch the frail figure jumping from the trees.

"Thank you, Falchi."

The weird plant-being shrugged. The flowers and leaves on their shoulders bobbed with each movement.

"Anything for an old... friend," Falchi said. They popped a kiss on Anhangá's cheek and waved at Rob. "Should we go? Caidara is waiting—and you know how that group of Sentinels are. Impatient, quirky brain-eating things."

"They're not all quirky brain-eaters; Mara is just special," Anhangá whispered.

Falchi scoffed, turned around, and disappeared among the trees. "I'll wait for you there. Don't be late."

Anhangá pivoted around to follow them.

"W-what the fuck?" With widened eyes, Rob tried to get up, but the piercing pain kicked him to the dirt again. "Ugh. Fuck. Oi. An! Wait, where are you going?"

From afar, a voice called Rob's name. Without turning around, Anhangá answered,

"I have a few debts to pay, sweet boy. Being with you for so long interrupted a mission that now needs completing."

"But... but you can't leave me alone!"

Léon's voice rang closer, filled with fear.

"You're not alone." Anhangá peeked over his shoulder; his smile was a sweet thing but stained with sadness. "You have your Tiger now. And his family, which will soon become yours." Anhangá winked. He walked back and stopped in front of Rob. "Here, let me help."

Rob sighed and winced as he reached out to grab Anhangá's hand.

"Bloody hell," he mumbled while Anhangá hauled him up. "Thank you."

"And so the sweet boy, trembling, sincerely thanked his Spirit-Entity. Their paths, they both knew well, would cross again with all certainty. But until momentous day, when they'll most certainly raise hell, the two of them just hugged and wished the other a warm farewell." Anhangá bowed before Rob and wrapped him in a hug. Anhangá turned around, but not fast enough to hide the tear caught in his long eyelashes.

Léon's voice was only a few meters away, so Rob answered this time. Rushed steps echoed his way.

Anhangá sighed. "Take care of him, Roberto. He's more special than any of you can fathom."