42 ━ The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

"Anything for my eternal rival's flower!" Gai gave her an enthusiastic thumbs-up as he spoke, grinning brightly.

To see him as youthful as always made her genuinely happy.

"I appreciate it."

Izumi just hoped that the bright flame of his glee would always burn high and mighty, no matter the circumstance.

THE PEACE AND QUIET IN WHICH THE BRUNETTE FOUND HERSELF BOTH COMFORTING AND FRUSTRATING. While on one hand, she sought the comfort of another person, on the other hand, the lonely stay brought her another form of comfort.

"You're a mess." In the door frame stood the silver-haired Izumi had grown to cherish over the years, expression drawn into one of concern.

She could practically feel her heart stop.

The brunette didn't feel like confronting him now. It scared her.

"You're a mess." In the door frame stood the silver-haired Izumi had grown to cherish over the years, expression drawn into one of concern.

"Please, leave me alone." Izumi murmured, turning away from him. Facing Kakashi would be the hardest thing to do, hurting him had become her worst mistake. To avoid facing him was a cowardly move of hers, but she couldn't help it.

It broke his heart to have her almost beg for him to leave her be.

"I can see that you have been crying."

Izumi turned away at that, an embarrassed flush overtaking her features. "That doesn't concern you." From what he could discern, her tone sounded anything but genuine, more forced than anything.

Kakashi startled at her response, eyes widening. She was pushing him away? Never had he expected for something like that to happen, for her to actively turn him away. Yet the last few weeks have proven to him that it is possible, have shown him the pain she had felt every time he had done the same to her, he had pushed her away.

It hurt, so badly. It made Kakashi wonder if the same heartache was the one she felt every time he had hurt her, if the same feelings plaguing him now had plagued her.

"I'm sorry, Izumi."

Her head snapped into his direction dramatically, her expression sunken as she stared at him absolutely bewildered. The way he stood in the doorway, hands stuffed into the pockets of his uniform, his brows knitted into an expression of discomfort and sorrow, made her stomach churn.

"Why are you apologizing? I should apologize, I ignored you, Kashi!" Guilt was practically eating her alive right now. Not facing those she was hurting was much easier than facing them.