he did care for the girl standing in front of him.

her head turned to the side when she heard the splash of his footsteps against the little rain puddles. when y/n's eyes met akaashi's, the world seemed to stop.

the sound of the chatter around them turned quiet, almost like there was a volume button and someone turned it all the way down. the raindrops falling from the sky paused where they were. the world just stopped spinning the second he looked into her eyes.

that was the first time you looked at me like you didn't want me near you. the kindness and affection gone from your eyes. nothing of recognition and no signs of your usual happiness. you looked at me like i was a stranger that day. you didn't even give me that look when i was an actual stranger you just met. you looked at me like you truly had no idea who i was and had no intention of finding out.

she looked back around and started walking away as fast as she could, not caring that she was getting rained on. "y/n-" he turned around and followed right after her, about to warn her about catching a cold in the rain. but he didn't have to.

the black umbrella he'd given her the first time they met was in her other hand.

except she wasn't even using it. she walked straight out into the rain without another look back at akaashi. he didn't hesitate before rushing out after her, not caring if he got sick.

"y/n, use the umbrella." his tone was far from demanding. it sounded like he was giving her advice rather than trying to get her to do something.

she ignored him and continued walking down the sidewalk, the two of them getting soaked in the rain.

"darling, please." he caught up to her but she promptly stopped and glared at him at the nickname.

"don't call me that." she shook her head.

"can i talk to you? about what happened yesterday?" he asked and grabbed onto the umbrella. the second he held onto it, she let go. the handle of the umbrella dropped onto the ground and they both looked down at it.

"you can talk, but i'm not going to stop walking." she answered and looked away from the umbrella to start walking down the sidewalk again.

"that's fine with me." he picked the umbrella back up and opened it up, trying to walk close to her so she could stay under and not get caught in the rain, but she only seemed to walk faster when he tried. "i'm sorry."

"wow, amazing apology." she could feel akaashi behind her and the cold raindrops that were falling onto her stopped. surprisingly, his body was warm despite being drenched in the rain.

"that's only my first one." he stretched his arm out so she was fully under the umbrella and he was only holding it. he didn't care if he got sick, as long as she didn't get sick because of him.

"what? did you prepare a whole list of them to recite to me?" she asked and pulled her sweater tighter around her. she didn't wear a raincoat that day since it was sunny in the morning.

akaashi was ready to take off his raincoat for her, but he knew that she would probably shrug it off. "no, i did not make a list." he shook his head even though she couldn't see. "i'm here to apologize for everything."

"okay."

"i was ready to go to your art show right after my meeting." he started. "the meeting ended and.. well we got a few drinks." y/n let out a scoff and started speeding up again. "i was only going to stay for one drink, i promise, but then they started more and i was making sure to keep an eye on the clock and my drinking limits."