Chapter 9: Whose in Control

As soon as I had opened the door, I was tackled by many hugs. Everyone was there, Luke, Josh, Lily, Lola and my parents. I hugged them back. Once we had been reunited, I stepped back. “We need to talk.” Most of them nodded and began heading to the dinning room.

I took my seat at the head of the table, all heads turned to me. I breathed. “I’m sorry for locking myself in my room. I just needed time to think.” I paused. “And I’ve made my decision. I’m going to give up Kayla.” No one seemed shocked.

“I’m afraid you can’t do that.” My dad butted in.

“And why not?” I asked, trying to hide my anger.

“For one you won’t be able to handle the stress of being a full-time model, once people find out there is no going back. And what about all your fans, do you think they will appreciate that their idol lied to them.”

“But, I can’t do this anymore.”

“I don’t think you have much of a choice.”

I turned to Luke. “What do you think?”

“Personally I don’t think you should give up the secret.” I looked hurt. “Well not yet, anyway. Also my parents would kill me, they met Alice not Kayla.”

“But I’m still the same person.”

“No, when they see that you lied they would not want me to hang around you anymore.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing; I had spent hours trying to figure out the best solution. How did I not think of these scenarios?

“I don’t care, I still want to do it.”

“Alice be practical.” I looked up to see Lola holding up my contract. “Remember we told you from the start about what could happen, such as this and that you would not be able to give up Kayla, until you turned 18. You agreed to it, without blinking an eye.”

“But it’s not fair.”

“Also it would look horrible on our company if everyone found out that you were lying. They would think that we were lying about all our products.”

“But..”

“No buts, you will continue being Kayla.”

“You can’t tell me what to do. Its my life.”

“But it will impact everyone you love.”

“I can’t believe this, you are all so selfish! You would rather put your daughter through pain than sacrifice you ‘beloved’ jobs.” I stood up and began making my way out the door.

“Alice where do you think you’re going?” My dad yelled after me, but I didn’t bother to answer him. I needed out, I needed to be away from this screwed up family.

I walked out the door and I was immediately soaked. I looked up and could see the storm, how did I not hear it. But I didn’t care, I was already wet so I kept walking. There was no one on the streets, which was understandable. The only noises were the occasional cars driving past.

Once I had reached the corner, I could faintly make it out in the distance. I began proceeding to it, it was too foggy to tell if anyone was there but I doubted it.

I walked along the path, thinking. What am I going to do? I didn’t want to think about it. So I chose the only thing that would distract me, I ran.

I ran, the gust of the wind blowing my hair. The rain running down the back of my shirt. I just ran, wanting to get out of this awful place.

But as soon as I had reached my destination, I stopped dead in my tracks. This is where it all started.