Chapter 11 - Blueberry Pie

2 Years Ago

"Absolutely not," Roseanne says, shaking her head furiously. "No, Jennie. I'd rather live in a crack den. I'd rather sell my body on the street corner."

Jennie sighs. "It's not that bad." She says. "Stop being so dramatic."

Roseanne and Jennie have somehow managed to end up in the same city after graduation, which is awesome, because Roseanne was honestly terrified of the idea of not having Jennie around. Of growing apart from her. And Jennie is so easy to live with, plus she can help with rent, so it was really just a massive, beautiful coincidence that they are here together.

But apartment hunting has been...difficult. It's not Roseanne's fault. It's just that all of the apartments she picks are grossly over budget and all of the houses Jennie picks are just grossly gross.

"The walls and the carpet are beige. Beige, Snickers. It's like we're living in a haystack."

"We can hang up stuff." Jennie retorts, crossing her arms. "It has two rooms and a kitchen and a bathroom. And it's under budget."

"Uh yeah because it's decomposing." Roseanne snaps back.

The poor realtor, who really didn't know what she was signing up for when she agreed to show Roseanne and Jennie apartments, interjects weakly. "The appliances are new." She tries.

"New appliances, my ass." Roseanne mumbles. "There are cockroaches in the fridge."

"Those can be cleaned out," Jennie says dryly, voice getting more irritated.

"This is a home to you?"

"We have no money!" Jennie says, temper finally starting to rise. "This is all we can do!"

Roseanne studies her face and then sighs, reaching forward to tug on a lock of Jennie's hair. Her telltale "you're freaking out again" signal. Jennie's face softens slightly.

"I'm sorry, I know you're right," Roseanne says softly. She looks around again. There are multiple beer stains on the carpet. The white, ceramic tile in the kitchen is so cracked that parts of it move when you walk on it. There are watermarks littered across the ceiling. The fridge is covered in a mysterious, gray sticky substance. The window has no glass in it, and instead is just covered by a giant piece of cardboard.

"It's close to the subway station. And the bus station. Which is great because we aren't going to have cars for at least a year." Jennie says, sensing Roseanne's horrified response. Her voice is calm, like she's already trying to comfort her. "We can deep clean the whole place once it's ours."

Roseanne's gaze moves from a particularly concerning dead bug in the corner of the room to Jennie's consoling face. "...is this... really going to be where we live?"

Jennie's face falls slightly, sympathetically, and she gives Roseanne a short nod.

"I-If I may," The realtor cuts in. "Miss, once you and your wife rent the place, the landlord will probably be able to spray for roaches and such."

Jennie sighs, rolling her eyes. "We're not marri-- "

"We'll take it," Roseanne says, feeling herself smile. She knows that if she doesn't stop Jennie, she'll probably get into a full-blown argument with the poor woman. "We can move in anytime within the next two weeks."

The realtor nods. "Wonderful! Follow me for the leasing paperwork." She says, gesturing for them to leave through the front door.

Roseanne takes a deep breath, taking one last look around the place. Her concern must show on her face, because then Jennie is squeezing her shoulder. Roseanne looks down at her, and Jennie is grinning-- one of those huge, broad grins that she almost never sees on Jennie's face.