INTERLUDE | FIRE & WATER

***

STROKE THE FIRE with your fingertips. The flames lick at your skin and devour your flesh. Your identity melts away, your fingerprints charred beyond recognition. The stench of burnt flesh floods your nostrils, and your face contorts in agony and disgust. You observe closely as the fire feeds on you, deliberately you confront it.

You did not expect anything else, and yet you longed to witness with your own eyes and feel with your own pain what the most feared of all elements is capable of. You have heard of him, the deadliest mass murderer of all time. In everybody's eyes, it is a shadow of life. It stalks at every corner and unexpectedly emerges into the limelight. Nonetheless, the quivering terror constantly awaits it.

ONCE YOU ARE OFFERED a glass of water, you give thanks for the thoughtful act. Your senses are stirred as the refreshment glides down your throat. However, it is never considered that you are guiding the element directly to its throne. It could flood your lungs to the point where it pours down your lips, throat, and chest. It may deprive you of oxygen as you writhe and battle. The water would prevail.

You plunge into the vast waves, a smile on your lips as you marvel at the saints' creation. The salt settles in your hair, and the kelp caresses your legs. You swim through the innocuous thought waters with a few strokes, relishing the sensation of absolute freedom. You float on your back, glancing into the bright sun. Only the murmur of the waves can be heard. And you do not realize that you opted to enter the lion's den. The ocean may imbibe you whole.

Everyone is aware of the threat involving water. The difference between water and fire, however: Water, you can see at all times, without having to produce it beforehand. The first touch is fully safe. The second. The third. The illusion of innocuousness is conveyed. The wonder of shifting physical states is a delusion. Ice, gas, and water. It is terrific. Useful. It is also lethal.

Water is a faithful companion, a friend. And a ticking time bomb. It is adept at drowning and ripping you apart without mercy. Into the depths of the ocean. Into the cage of suffocation. Into the raging blazes of ice.

The water is treacherous. Underestimated. Believing it to be a harmless substance will lead to your demise.

Water meets fire. And the flames douse.

***