Ch. 7

We arrived at a building. It was huge and had 18 floors with different doctor offices attached. 

My Mom and I walked down the long hallways. 

The smell of antiseptic filled the halls.

We made it up to the 18th floor. My mother swung open the door to an office at the end of the hall after passing almost ten other busy little offices in the hall. 

I would get lost if I was alone in here. 

The ladies at the front desk greeted us and we sat down on the seats that were lined up against the wall for the waiting room.

It was silent.

"Why are we here?" I asked. Breaking the silence.

"I've decided it's time for you to know what's going on and this is the safest way," my mom answered.

"What do you mea-," I went to ask.

"Renee Myers, come with me please," said one of the office ladies.

I stood up and so did my mother. We followed the office lady down the hall and into one of the doctor's rooms. It seemed familiar to me. The white walls. The plants in the corner and the big window overlooking the city. 

I was asked to sit down on the bed facing the window and wait for the doctor.

"Thanks," my mother said to the office lady with a bright smile.

The lady smiled back and gently closed the door behind her.

Silence again.

The clock on the wall was ticking loudly. 

Tic, Tic, Tic,

My stomach starts to flutter.

I couldn't help but feel nervous as I don't know what is going on. I look over at my mom who is sitting in a chair near the door. She's on her phone ignoring me as usual. I want to ask her so many questions, but I know she won't answer any of them. 

So, I wait in silence.

Except for that damn clock.

Tic, Tic, Tic,

Moments later a doctor walked in. He greeted us. Then himself. 

"I'm Dr. Davis and I will be helping you today Renee," he said. 

The name has a familiar ring to it. 

He seemed like he knew who I was. Obviously, my name was in the charts he was holding but he just looked at me like he knew me. 

Hmmm... 

The more I stared at him the more I felt like I knew who he was.

His little silver glasses hung near the tip of his nose and his hair was icy grey. His face was wrinkled and aged and he seemed welcoming.

His presence was familiar, and I don't understand why.

He sat down at the desk that was near my mother.

"So, Renee, do you know why you are here today?" he asked.

"Not really," I replied.

I'm used to appointments with doctors and counseling, but this appointment feels different.

"Hm, I guess your mother has not yet explained anything to you," he abruptly said.

He was observing me, but that comment was directed to my mom. 

He looked irritated.

My mother was shaking her head slowly. 

She looked nervous. 

Her eyes answered it all.

"That's correct," my mom spoke.

"Explain what?" I asked.

I am so utterly confused right now. 

The past 24 hours have been a complete mess. I looked up at Dr. as he looked me up and down. He got up and slowly made his way toward me.

"Renee is it okay if I touch you?" he asked.

Then he said that he wanted to do a checkup on my heartbeat so he pulled out his stethoscope and put it against my chest. The cold metal shocked my body even through my shirt.

"Good," he muttered.

His eyes met mine again.

"Renee what I am about to tell you is going to be a lot to take in," he said.

I could feel my heart pulsing. The rhythm was getting faster, and I felt sick to my stomach.

Everyone is walking on eggshells around me and saying things that don't make sense. I took some deep breaths and tried to keep a good composure. I'm sure it's nothing too serious.

My stomach dropped when my eyes met my mother's face. She gulped. Her eyes were sorry, and she looked as if she felt guilty.

What the hell is going on?

I looked back at the doctor.

"Promise me you will stay calm and don't speak until I say you can Renee," he said.

"O-okay."