What's this?

Picking it up, I unfolded it and saw a hand written letter.

Nirah, my little girl.

I've done many things in life that I'm not proud of, wishing I didn't have to do and this is definitely the worst. Before I explain myself just know that I love you, dearly, and always will. This has absolutely nothing to do with you, it's all because of me.

Someone made me realize that my actions have consequences that doesn't only affect me, but you as well.

My behavior is causing you stress, and problems, and it's preventing you from living your young adult like and I'm sorry.

I'm the parent. I should be taking care of you but I can't even do that right. I can't seem to do anything right these days.

My eyes sting with tears as I see the little paper start moving as my hand shivers. A single tear drop wets the paper in the right bottom corner.

Taking a deep breath in, I continue.

I'm going to do the right thing. For you.

I booked myself into a rehabilitation facility in Spain, back home. I need to get better in order to be a better father to you. You deserve that much from me, after all these years.

I let out a small gasp and my hand flies to my mouth, covering it.

I don't know how long I'll be here, but I'd spend the next ten years if that's how long it takes to better myself.

I'm doing this for you. You're my little girl and seeing all the hurt I'm causing you pains me.

I love you, Nirah.

Sincerely, your father.

Looking around the room I rush over to his closet. With a loud thud the door swings open.

It's empty.

I rush over to his drawers, the bathroom, the laundry room, the kitchen, the living room.

His things are gone.

They're all... gone.

Biting down onto my quivering lip I scrunch up the little white paper in my left hand. I shake my head, feeling my heart clench in my chest.

You can't leave me like this.

You can't leave me all alone- you're the only family I have left.

I brought both hands to my mouth as I let out a few sobs. It felt as if my ribs were closing in on my heart. I could barely get in any oxygen and my legs felt numb.

I'm all alone now.

No mother.

No father.

No Nereus.

No one.

____

I woke up clutching my sheets in both hands. I sat up, looking around.

I was in my dad's bed.

I blinked a few times as tears brimmed in my eyes. Taking a deep breath in I looked around the room one last time before getting out of bed.

I made his bed and closed the door behind me, thereafter.

I walked into my room, and my door slammed shut. I started getting my clothes ready and saw a glimpse of the clock.