This Is How You Make A Marriage Proposal!

(AN: This is inspired by one of my best friend (@MichaelMellsBathroom)'s TreeBros oneshots! Since Wattpad won't let me tag them I'll link xer account in the comments! Also yes, this is an ABH oneshot with a Falsettos line as the chapter title, let me live/lh)

Year: 2023
Book: Adopted by Heathers Sequel
Catlynn and Red's Age: 21

Red's PoV

On days like this, I loved the fact that my wife was still in medical school and wasn't home most of the time. Because on days like this, I needed her out of the house.

But for the first time in my life, I was going to Catlynn's house while she wasn't home. Because I didn't need to talk to her, I needed to talk to her mom, Elle.

I took the small package I needed to bring off of the kitchen counter and stuck it in my pocket. Smiling and giggling, I grabbed my car keys and skipped out the door of my small apartment, which I would soon be moving out of once Catlynn and I scraped up enough money to buy a house.

With the lanyard holding my keys around my neck, my purse on my lap, and the special box in my pocket, I was all ready to go, and I could not be happier. There were butterflies in my stomach, sure, but I felt pride. Pride and happiness that I was doing something amazing for the person that meant more to me than anyone else in the entire universe.

I started my trek to Catlynn's apartment, listening to the radio and smiling softly to myself. Today was going to be an amazing day, no matter what anyone said.

I arrived at the apartment after twenty minutes or so, got everything I needed out of the car, and took a deep breath. Why was I suddenly so nervous to do this? I've known Elle for nine years now, she was practically family to me. It's not like I was having dinner with the President or something!

I took another deep breath and knocked on the apartment door. After around five seconds of me holding my breath in anticipation, Elle opened the door and looked surprised to see me.

"Oh, hello, Red! Nice to see you, you know Catlynn isn't home, right? She'll be home later tonight if you want to see her." Elle said.

I smiled a little and said, "No, ma'am, I'm actually here to see you. There's something I wanted to ask you and I thought it would be better to talk to you in person rather than over the phone." I said.

Elle smiled back and invited me into the apartment. "Please, Red, call me Elle. And you can ask me anything, okay? What's on your mind?"

My hand went for the small box in my pocket and I held it tightly. "Well...um...Elle...as you know, Catlynn and I have been dating for...quite a while, I can't even count the years off the top of my head. And Catlynn is the most important person in my life, she makes me feel like I'm on top of the world every single day. And so...I was wondering if..."

At that moment, my hand slipped and the box slipped out of my pocket and fell to the floor. "Crap! Sorry, Elle, I'll get that, gah-"

"Red. Honey, is that an engagement ring?" Elle asked, putting her hand over mine and stopping me. I sat up and took the box back, blushing a little.

I nodded slowly and said, "Yeah...sorry."

"Red, why are you apologizing? Are you asking for my blessing to propose to Cat?" Elle asked, and I sheepishly nodded.

"Red, my answer is 1000% yes. I know you'll treat my daughter well, you always have. In fact, if it wasn't for you, she wouldn't have made as many strides with her mental health and trauma recovery. You helped her so much, more than you know."

I smiled and said, "Thanks, Elle, I'll see you later. Now, I have a hot as hell bisexual to propose to."