chapter one

SOUNDTRACK #1:
Fantasia feat. Missy Elliot — Free Yourself

THE sound of the zipper being pulled around her second suitcase rang throughout the quiet room. It was the first Wednesday of the month and usually at this time she would be sitting in Quest's office, surround by his other wives, for their monthly check-up meetings. It was always so awkward to her. They never paid her any mind and she was tired of trying to befriend them after the first six months.

She knew that they were probably waiting on her, but in her absence she was sending a professional process server to serve Quest divorce papers. She didn't want anything from him and she didn't ask anything of him. She just wanted to be free.

Three years she spent trying to get his attention, trying to spend time with him, just trying to get the man to at least acknowledge her as he did his other wives, but to no avail. Solana knew coming into the marriage, it was going to be hard. He had an established relationship with the three other wives unlike his relationship with her.

Sade was his first wife. They dated throughout middle and high school. She loved Quest with everything that she had and if you were to ask Quest about her, he would explain that she was his down bitch. She held him down through his adolescence and his early twenties. She's made money with him, lost money with him, hid his guns, and has even taken charges for him. When he went to jail two months after they married, she was there at every visitation and making sure he had money on his books. She earned her spot in his heart. And then came Erin.

Erin was the youngest wife, being that she was three years Quest's junior. When he was being arrested after marrying Sade, she happened to be at the right place at the right time and helped him out tremendously.

She hid the majority of his drugs in his trunk in her backpack when the officers were shaking him down and picking at him at the front of his car. What could have been a twenty year bid for drug trafficking and intent to sell ended up being a year and a half long bid for violating his probation because of Erin's quick thinking.

In the mean time while he was in jail, she sold his product, keeping only a little to help herself out in her home life situation. When he finally got out, she went to his Welcome Home party and handed him over $500,000 and explained to him what she did with the drugs. He made her his most trustworthy manager, in one of his biggest warehouse on the outskirts of Atlanta. The marriage between Erin and Quest happened a few months after that.

As many women that Sade beat up and got into it with about Quest, it was surprising to everyone that she was okay with Quest marrying Erin. Even more so when people began seeing Sade and Erin together without Quest being around.

But when he married Mya, all hell broke lose. Mya felt like and acted like she should be the one-and-only wife. She was the daughter of one of Quest's most prominent partnerships. She wanted to marry Quest and Quest wanted her father's products. It should have been a very transactional relationship, but Mya made it more difficult than it should've been. She wanted Quest to herself and she didn't understand why Erin and Sade had to be in the picture. Quest didn't understand what the big deal was because he still provided Mya with the luxuries she was used to when living with her father. She bumped heads with Erin and Sade often, but she finally calmed down after  the second time they both whooped her ass.

Solana came in quietly on his fifth year of being married to Sade, third year of being married to Erin, and year and a half of being married to Mya.

It happened by chance, truly. He got caught lackin' by some young boys tryna get a come up by offing one of the biggest drug lords in the game, but they failed to kill him. She found him on the streets bleeding out and rushed him to the hospital. She sat in the waiting room throughout the night until the doctors told her that his surgery was finished. She even waited with him the two days he was in a medically-induced coma because she didn't know who to call. He saved her life when he was fifteen and she was returning the favor to him at twenty-one. In exchange for saving his life, he agreed to marry her.