The Twentieth Song

The Captino stood before them, tired, bloody and holding a dagger to the largest gemstone Tess could imagine. The Gemstone. The heart of the most powerful Cristaviven. The life force of every living thing. The heart of the world. Held captive by a crazed and dying man.

Tyler crouched slightly, watching the Captino with caution. He would sacrifice his life to save the world. His world. The only person who cared for him. The only person he truly cared for. The only person that mattered to him in the next moments.

Liberta flashed, leaving them in a red glow of the heart before them. Tyler muttered something to himself, perhaps addressed to Liberta who took refuge in the ring on his finger. The necklace grew hot on his skin, burning his hand as he yanked it free from his neck.

Sperare crouched before the Captino, her roar rippling through the cavern they stood in. The Captino could be seen, trembling before them, defiance being the only thing keeping the dagger firmly pressed against Dea's heart.

"Stand down, Captino. Nobody needs to get hurt. We can all walk away, only if you cooperate." Tyler stated, taking slow deliberate steps towards the dagger.

One wrong move. One slice. One cut. One crack is all it would need to destroy the world.

Everyone could feel the tension stringing them along. It was taunt but as frail as a spider's silk. Anyone could snap it. Anyone could make the Fates recut someone's string. Anyone could make or break the world.

They all stood perfectly still. Tyler's hands were low in the best reassuring and non-threatening manner he could muster. Tess held desperately onto her locket, not wanting to breathe. The Captino stood, barely holding himself up, eyes set with wicked cruelty. He looked tired, or maybe sickly. He watched their every move.

Sperare growled furiously. Before her was the man who murdered her Padrona in ruthless, unmerciful, cold blood. She was going to show this man the same painful death that she imagined her Pradona had to suffer through. She took a step forward, her sharp eyes trained on the dagger to Dea's heart.

Figlio di Aramarno, please stand back. It will get messy. I will remove this lifeless skinwalker from this plane of existence.

"Sperare. This is not how you should seek compensation for your Padrona's life. Let not bloodshed be your final act." Tyler reminded her.

He could see the tension scrawled across her whole body, itching to lunge at the Captino's throat.

Sperare growled to herself, backing down slightly. I will not hesitate to remove his throat from his body if he harms you, Figlio di Aramarno. Mark my words.

"They have been marked." Tyler turned to the Captino.

He walked forward, placing his Flauto on the smooth ground. The Captino stiffened, holding the dagger firmer to the heart. Tyler knelt, sitting on his knees as he held a hand out to the Captino.

"Take it. Come with us. You don't have to do this. We can fix what you sought to destroy." Tyler smiled, trying so hard to forgive.

He could see the carnage he had strewn across the land. He knew of his crimes. He knew of the many lives he had stolen. He reached a hand out, pleading in his eyes that he would take it. That he would renounce his destructive path. That he could change. He closed his eyes. Waiting for a warm, shaky hand to touch his own.

Instead, he felt an icy dagger against his throat.

Tess and Sperare lunged forward, only to stop when Tyler held a hand up. They could see the fear in his eyes and the dagger held firm against him. He swallowed.