Chapter 9: What's a birthday without Zim: Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Don't try and lie to me, Dib-worm. Gaz has already told me of your deception."

'Damn it Gaz, out of all people, you just HAD to tell Zim.' He thought to himself when another thought crossed him.

'Wait, Gaz wouldn't have told him without him directly asking her. Which means he came over here to ask for me, and also means that he...' Dib had to cut off his thought process and decided he shouldn't come to any unnecessary conclusions. He made ready to say something, but there was a slight delay between him opening his mouth, and the words coming out. A delay that didn't go unnoticed by Zim, as he started looking at him with a raised eyebrow.

"...Why do you even care that I'm not at skool?"

At first, Dib thought that Zim's shocked expression came from him being unable to answer the question. But he soon discovered that it came from disbelief, as a wave of frustration rolled over him, and he started grinding his teeth against each other. He then took a step towards Dib, lifting the human's lower body into the air.

"OF COURSE I CARE!" He shouted directly into Dib's face, who stared at him in surprise.

"If you're not there, then I have to deal with all those filthy human pigs by myself!" He continued at a slightly lower volume while placing his hand on his chest to emphasize his point.

"You're the only thing that makes that place bearable. No matter how annoying you are, or stupid, or ugly...or big-headed."

The two stared at each other for a time, with Dib's shock not disappearing for a single moment. He was unsure of what to do, what to say. It wasn't often someone told him they cared about him. But he wasn't expecting one of those people to be Zim. He expected everyone EXCEPT Zim. There always had been the chance he had cared about him, but Dib thought that Zim would rather die than ever admit it. But here he was. Just admitting that he cared about Dib, without the need for persuasion or torture. For a moment Dib wondered if he might be lying, but if he didn't mean it, then he would probably choke on the words.

A feeling of guilt suddenly washed over him, as he realized he had no idea how to respond. Not a single thing could he think of. But fortunately, Zim was there to provide him with an escape.

"Now, are you gonna let me take you out of this stinking room without a fight, or am I gonna need to find some rope?" He asked Dib, whose eyes suddenly lit up, as he realized he could be free from responding to Zim's confession. But he still looked at the alien with a wary face, thinking to himself if this really was the smartest thing to do? He then considered that it was doing that, or having to fight off Zim.

"....Okay. But you're still gonna have to drag me."

A mischievous smirk spread across Zim's face.

"Fine by me."

"Good. Let me just get my coat."

Gaz stood out in the hallway and looked on with a judging look, as Zim dragged Dib out of his room, and down the hallway. Dib looked up at the ceiling, and if he felt any shame at what was happening, his face didn't show it.

"This is sad. Even for you." She commented as they made their way past her, her tone as judgy as her face.

Dib looked up at her with a puzzled look.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I now have my own personnel slave to take me places. I don't know about you, but I consider that a win."

He gave her a self-satisfied grin, as he kept eye contact with her, as Zim continued dragging him. Gaz soon broke free from the staring contest and looked further ahead from where Dib was going. At first, he was confused at what she was looking at. Then he remembered that they were on the first floor.