Chapter 24: Closure

A couple days later

I wake up next to Corey and smile.

I gently kiss Corey on his lip, and he wakes up. He slowly kisses me back.

"Hey, instead of going to school. Can you come with me somewhere?" I ask him.

"Sure, where?" he asks.

"I want to go to the Santa Carla county prison." I say looking at him.

He furrows his eyebrows and says, "Why?"

"I need some closure about the things that happened." I respond.

"Do you really think he'll give you that?"  he questions.

"Hopefully. There is only one way to find out." I say with a half-smile.

"Well, let's go." he says.

I get up and get dressed.

We get into his car and head for the prison.

When we get there, Corey parks his car and I sit there staring at the entrance of the prison.

"Are you ready?" Corey asks.

I turn to him and swallow the lump in my throat, "Is anyone every ready for this?" I say.

Corey gives me a half-smile and we both get out.

He grabs my hand and we enter the prison. We go to the front desk and there is woman officer there.

"Hi, how can I help you?" she says.

"Hi, um...I'm here to visit my father, Joe Leaf." I say.

She looks down at a list and says, "Sorry, but your not on the list."

"But, really need to see him." I plead.

"Well, he need to put on the list; in order to visit him." she says plainly.

"Is there anyway you can call him, and ask him?" I say.

The officer takes a deep breath and says, "I'll see what I can do."

She picks up the phone and says, "Yea, hello can you ask a Joe Leaf, if he would like to visit with a Summer Leaf."

"She says she's his daughter." she responds to the other person on the phone.

We wait a couple seconds for an answer.

The officer hangs up the phone and says, "The visiting room is that way." she says pointing through two doors.

"Thank you." I say and enter the visiting room.

Me and Corey sit down in two chairs at a table.

"Are you sure you want to go through this." Corey asks.

I look at Corey and say, "Yea." and he lightly squeezes my hand.

We hear a loud buzzing; signaling the doors are opening, and I see my father walk through. Looking horrible.

He walks over to us being led by an officer, and my father sits down. The officer stands near by monitoring our conversation.

My father stares holes into me.

We sit there quiet for a couple seconds until he breaks the silence.

"What?" my father says harshly.

This makes my stomach sick just looking at him.

"I wanted to talk." I state.

"About what? Who's this." he hisses.

"Don't worry about him. I just want to talk to you, and get closure." I hiss back.

Corey rubs my shoulder.

"Closure my ass. Sweetheart you aren't going to get it from me." he says coldly.

I take a deep breath, and say, "Why? Why didn't you ever love me? "

"Jesus Christ! This is what you came here for to cry, and what lecture me?" He yells.

"No, I just want to simply know why." I say.

"Why, what?" he asks with impatience.

"Everything." I respond.

His shackles clink against the table as he rest his arms on top of it.

"You and your mother deserved what you got." he hisses.

I bang my fist on the table and yell, "Damn it! That is bullshit!"

"Bullshit!? I don't know why I ever stayed in that house?" he says harshly, "I didn't think you were mine. You look nothing like me." he adds.

Tears start to fall from my eyes, and I retort, "Well, then you should've just left, we would've have been better off without you!"

"And you know what!? I damn glad I look nothing like you. But, that doesn't mean I'm not your daughter. You should've loved me! No one deserves to be treated like that when they're kids!" I yell with rage.

"Hey, we need you to keep it down, or your going to have to leave." the male officer says.

"Summer, baby calm down." Corey says.

"Jesus Christ, she never told you did she?" he says smirking with an evilness.

"Your bitch of a mother slept with someone else. There is no way you could be mine." he hisses.

My heart drops and my stomach feels like it is going to explode.

"Even, if that were true. You should have never treated a kids that way; even she wasn't yours. Damn it, you killed my mother." I hiss.

"She only got what she deserved." he says and turns to Corey, "Hey, don't be surprised if she turns out like her mother; a whore." he hisses.

"Hey, man watch it." Corey says sternly.

I had enough and I try to lunge at him over the table. But, Corey grabs me and holds me back.

"That's bullshit. Your just mad because you never did anything with your life. You just needed to take it out on someone!" I yell through tears.

Corey pull me out of the visiting room.

Before I leave the room, I shout, "Your going to go to prison you bastard."

Corey takes me outside to his car. I lean over the hood of his car and hit hard.

"Hey, hey come here." Corey says and pulls me to him.

I sob into his chest.

"I can't believe him." I sob.

"Summer, don't worry about it. He doesn't realize what he's missing our on." Corey says gently.

"Why doesn't anyone want me..." I say through tears.

Corey lifts my chin and says, "Hey, I want you."

Corey wipes away my tears.

"Remember I'll always protect you." he says.

I smile through my tears and say, "You were always there..."

"Even when we go our separate ways." Corey whispers.

I kiss him and we head back home.

 I will no longer give him the title as my father. I will never refer to him as anything.