Chapter 2: Hello

I get up and look at myself in the mirror. What I see is a tortured soul looking for an escape to anywhere but here. I get dressed in a pair of jeans, converse, black t-shirt and black hoodie. Hopefully the black will help me to blend in. Not like I don't do that already.

"Ugh..." I hiss in pain.

I finish getting dressed and grab my bag. I don't bother to eat anything. I don't want to be in this house for another second. I start my journey to school.

I'm almost at the entrance to the school and see kids hanging out all over the front steps. But, before I make way towards the entrance, I grab my sunglasses and put them on. Just to shield people from seeing the black eye that I attained from last night, and from them making any comments.

I ascend the steps to the school and entered the doors. I pulled my hood over my head and kept my head down. Which was probably a bad idea since I didn't notice someone coming my way. Next thing I knew I bumped into someone.

"Ow, what the hell?" I hear a familiar male voice say.

I look up from the ground; which I was now lying on. The boy happens to be Corey Haim. I knew him for years when I was younger, we were best friends and then he left to go live in Canada with his dad. I'm surprised that he is back. But, he probably doesn't remember me. It's been years since we've seen each other. But, he did grow into a fine looking man; tall, dirty blonde hair and dreamy blue eyes.

He knew about my Dad's occasionally drinking and being physical with me and my Mom. He would come through my bedroom window, lay with me, and vow that as my best friend he wouldn't let him hurt me while he was there. But, he didn't know how bad it has gotten. I must have been daydreaming because my attention was aroused by his voice.

"Hello? Are you okay?" he asked with a hint of concern. I didn't want him to see me like this, so, I quickly got up and ran. I was dazed and confused by seeing him. I was suprised he didn't recognize me. Then again I did have sunglasses on.
I made my way to drama class and hoped that I wouldn't see him again.

I got there just in time and took a seat at the back of the auditorium. I want to blend in and not be noticed; which is what I like and was use to. I wasn't expecting to see Corey saunter in with some friends. I can't believe he has the same class as me.

I tried to escape the auditorium, but, was halted by my teacher Mrs. Ash, "Not trying to skip are you Summer?" she asked.

"No, not at all Mrs. Ash. Just wanted to stretch my legs." I replied with a half smile.

"I hope they're stretched out. Now, if you could sit." She stated patiently. I started to turn to the back. But, was halted again by Mrs. Ash.

"Uh-uh. Sit in the front with the rest of the class Ms. Leaf." She stated.

"Yea, Why not? That would be fun." I say sarcastically.

"Mhmm." Mrs. Ash said.

I sit down in one of the front rows. I notice that of all the seats I had to choose from. I chose the one right behind Corey. I could hear him talking to his friends. I missed the sound of his voice that soothed me and helped me to forget the pain I was in. My attention was caught my Mrs. Ash standing on the stage and blowing her whistle signaling people to be quiet.

"Okay, everyone. We have new student joining us today. His name is Corey Haim and I hope you all will make him feel welcomed." She said while gesturing towards Corey.

"Well, I want to say that the play that we finally chose to do this year for the school play. Is....Romeo and Juliet. I expect everyone to audition. So there is no getting out of it. Sorry but I'm not sorry.." She said eliciting moans from the students.

"Hush. I want to start auditons now. Why don't I have a volunteer to audtion for Romeo and one volunteer for Juliet. Who wants to do it?" She said excitedly. Needless to say no one raised their hands.

"Well, I'm going to have to do this the hard way then." she said, "Corey how about you?... You know what it's not even a question just come up." she said without waiting for his answer.

"Yea, I'll take a crack at it." He said nonchallantly.

"Ok, now any for Juliet." Mrs. Ash asked. Everyone of the girls hand shot up and some guys I think. Everyone except for mine. This immediatley got my teacher's attention.

"You know what? How about you missy in the hoodie and sunglasses." She said with sass. I would protest but I didn't want to make a scene. I shakily made my way towards Corey on the satge. I tried to stay a good distance away from him.

"Miss, the glasses and hoodies, please remove them." she asked.

"Can't I just leave them on? I didn't sleep much last night." I asked.

"Very, well then. But, lose the hoodie." she said not budging on the hoodie request.

I take my hoodie off revealing my long black hair. I face Corey ready to start. Corey kind of squinted his eyes, like he was trying to make sense of who I was.

"Do I know you? Other than bumping into you in the hallway. By the way I'm sorry about that." he said with confusion. I shook my head.

"Less talking and more acting." Mrs. Ash demanded.

We finished with auditioning and so did the other students. Mrs. Ash said the results would be posted in the cafeteria on Wednesday. I hurried out of the auditorium and tried to get throught the rest of the day.

I hurried out of the school and planned on going to the park to relax. I start walking with my head down. Which once again was a mistake and I ended up bumping into someone again. I ended on the ground again and looked up to see none other than Corey.

"We meet like this too much." Corey said with a laugh. But, something in his expression changed. That's when I realized my glasses weren't on my face. I could feel the shock reach my face and form an expression.

"Summer?" he asked not believing what he was seeing. I grabbed my glasses and started to take off.

"Summer!" he yelled. I just kept walking. But, eventually he caught up with me.

"I haven't seen you in years! What is wrong?" he asked with worry. I stayed quiet.

"Talk to me Summer...You always could." hi said desperately. I stopped walking and turned to face him.

"I've missed you." I whispered. He quickly hugged me with what seemed like relief.

"Same here. It's gotten worse...hasn't it?" he whispered. As an indication that he was right. I hugged him a little more tightly. I could feel his toned arms wrapped around me. I've always had feelings for Corey, not just friendly ones but more than that. I haven't revisited those feelings till now. But, I doubt he ever had feelings for me; other than friendly ones. We unraveled from the hug. Corey gingerly touched my bruised eye and I could see the pain in his eyes. I turn my face away from his hand.

"Why are you back?" I asked curiously.

"I decided to come back to California, because my mother missed having me around. I don't blame her it's been six years. So, here I am for my senior year back in Cali." he said with a slight smile.

"I haven't seen your mother since you left for Canada. How is she?" I asked.

"She's doing good. You know what the best part about coming back is?" Corey said.

"No, What?" I said curiously.

"Seeing my best friend again." Corey said while smiling and nudging me.