Chapter 2: One Year Later

I had spent a lot of time with writing books based on the experiences I had from talking to people during my therapy sessions, which wasn't at all bad, but as an author I had many other stories in my head besides the ones i here from other people, so in the summer of 1981 I decided to switch publishing companies. The company that I had chosen was Romance publishing company of Memphis, Tennessee. Which meant i had to go out there and sign the contract.

I had checked into the Sunsetters Hotel on that hot summer day that I had arrived and made it up to my room with Shelby by my side she was going on and on about this new boy that she had just met but I wasn't listening. I was in my own little world thinking about the story I was working on. " Hey I heard that they have the best dinner here you want to go down and have lunch?" she asked when we made it to my room.

I thought about saying no but then my stomach started growling and i realized I hadn't had anything to eat sense I had left New York. "Yea i guess." I said finally as I grabbed my purse

When we made it to the diner we sat down at a table and began looking at the menu. Not really knowing what I wanted to eat.

"So how long do you plan on staying here?" she asked.

" I don't know, there's not much to do here." I said as I sat the menu to side.

"You don't want to go shopping? "

I gave her a look." Since when do you want to go shopping? " Shelby wasn't the shopping type nor was she the girly type, so that question just didn't sound eight coming out of her mouth.

" Well, I'm just making a suggestion, I don't sit in a hotel room all day and be bored as hell you know."

"Well we can leave tomorrow. I don't like staying in one place for to long any way." I said.

Just then on of the waiters walked over to the desk." Excuse ma'am but are you Dr. Theresa Morrison? " He asked.

"Yes, I am." I said.

" Well there's a man over there who would like to talk to you, he says you know him." he said as he pointed towards the VIP section. I could see a group of men in the glass window I didn't recognize any of them.

" Did he give you a name." I asked, still looking at the window.

"Mr. Jackson."

As soon as he said the name I was reminded of the time that I met him back in New York. He wanted to have lunch with me but I couldn't because I had to go......I had to go talk to my father, and that didn't turn out like I wanted it to. Now I regret even going there. I forced the memory away before the emotion took over." Okay." I said as I stood up." Ill be back." I told Shelby.

I made my way over to the VIP room Where I saw him, he sitting in drinking so orange juice. When he saw me he stood and walked over to me with a dashing smile stretched across his face. "Hi Dr. Morrison." He said as he shook my hand." Nice seeing you again." they way his voice sounded in the air sent shivers down my spine.

" Nice seeing you."

" So what brings you to Memphis? " he asked.

" Business trip, I'm signing to another publishing company. " I said as I sat down in an empty chair. "You? "

" Touring." he said with a long sad sigh.

" You say that like its a bad thing." I said.

" I don't. like touring, I think its a waste of time."

I gave him a confused look." How is it a waste of time?"

"Because we put a lot of time in preparing for it and once its over, its over, unlike a video or a movie, which is something that will last. I like to capture every moment and have it forever. When I perform I feel like I'm giving a whole lot but for nothing."