Chapter one:

I weaved and soared high through the clouds, the air bouncy and light as I cut through it. My wings flapped steadily and obediently, keeping me up in the air, never faltering, not even once. My body moved with my wings as I surfed through the bright clear sky. I pushed down hard and swooped upward, darting higher and higher, opening my wings and closing my eyes as I felt the sun's rays beating down on my feathers.

It felt freeing, like this was the definition of being alive. To feel the warmth of the sun, the air beneath me as I rode the clouds through the sky that seemed to go on forever.

And I was falling.

No resistance. Just gravity taking me, pulling harder, faster, and I gave in willingly.

"LILITH! STOP!"

A little screeching voice cut through my conscious, snapping me back to reality. My eyes flew open and I snapped my wings open from my side, gasping as my shoulders cracked. I fell—out of control, my hands grasping bare air as I crashed into the crier.

"Ouch," I grumbled rubbing the side of my head where I clunked heads.

"I'm the one you landed on—klutz!" Gwen, a blonde headed little angel said with a growl as she rubbed her bare shoulder that began to purple with a bruise. "Did you fall asleep while flying, again?" she accused harshly whilst trying to keep in flight, her small creamy beige wings beating with an offbeat flutter.

I rolled my eyes. "I meant to do all that," I said doing a sudden summersault, grasping control over the air again.

Gwen only rolled her eyes at me as she waved me forward and ducked down and began flapping away. "Sure you did. C'mon," she said. "They sent me to come and get you."

I groaned as I followed her, dully flapping my wings, looking over my shoulder back to the open and full sky that I began to miss so dearly already.

Avon.

The home of the brave and many; the winged warriors and the great Council.

Gwen led me back to Oura headquarters for winged commanders, which to the common eye was just a large mountain with a hole in it, but it was our base.

"Alright, here we are," Gwen said buoyantly as we landed inside, tucking our wings behind us with a little shake, shoulders stiff from my flying, but mine were desperate to feel the pull of the air again.

"Lilith," a low authority filled voice said.

I turned to see one of the flock leaders, Falcon. He strode towards us with his long grey misty wings dragging gallantly behind him. His broad shoulders were hunched as he crossed his arms over his chest and smirked at the both of us.

"Thank you Gwen for bringing this lone flyer in, you may leave now," Falcon said with gratitude.

Gwen grinned and gave a little awkward curtsey before she strode away and left Oura, taking off slowly, before disappearing out of the entrance.

I turned back to Falcon who smirked cunningly at me, his icy blue eyes watching me.

"Should I even ask why you're incredibly late—again?"

I shrugged. "I got caught up in the wind."

Falcon grinned and motioned me forward with a nod of his head. "C'mon, we gotta get suited up."

I frowned as I followed him, careful not to step on the ends of his wings. "Suited up?" I asked with a hint of excitement. "Are we going out?"

Falcon looked down to me, his height intimidating. "Yes. There were sightings of dark activity inside a small fairy village south of Avon."

I gritted my teeth and flapped my wings excitedly, nearly missing Falcon's face with the tips of my feathers. "Good, I've been itching to kick some demon butt."

Darkness wormed around in his eyes. "Its not always fun and games. Hurry, we leave soon." He walked me to the Flock dormitories where he left me to get suited up.

I loaded the last of the angelic blades to my wrists, legs, boot and waist. I gazed at myself in the mirror, ignoring the several others that changed behind me, getting into their tight leather hunting gear, gathering all their blades and daggers—weapons to take down demons.

This was the life—my life. Not chosen by me of course, but I was bound to it. Once you were in the Flock—chosen to be a Guardian, you were in until you died, which wasn't unusual. Any day I went out there I could die, never to return, but somehow, someway, every time I came back, I was alive and breathing—usually unscathed, a little cut, bite or scratch here and there, my body littered with bruises, but nothing that would kill me.

"You ready, Lilly?" Sonya, one of the Guardians said grabbing a long curved sword from the wall and walked out of the dorm. "We leave in five!" she called over her shoulder.

I glared once more at the short boyish blonde hair, peppered with stray black hairs that were tousled at the top of my head and awkwardly tugged my silver chained necklace over my head and let it dangle on my collarbone. Hanging at the end of the loop was a pretty shiny little white rock—a piece of our star, Jupiter—the god of the sky. All Guardians had it, a symbol of protection, unity and strength. I eyeballed the dark curve rune—a birthmark that had been on my right shoulder from the moment I was born—my good luck spot I called it. This was it. I was going out. To fight. To kill. I sighed and nodded to my reflection, jogging out of the dorm to meet with the others.

1