Chapter five

Hellloooo!!! It's a bit later than promised... I spent about twenty minutes trying to find my doujinshi and then i spent another five/ten reading it. For any curious souls it's a HibaTsuna 1827 Khr doujinshi called Kimi shika inai or uhhhh Nothing but you? I guess, im not good at translating at all;-;;;; anYWAY hope you enjoy!! :DD

Yuzuha made sure to wake up earlier than usual, her training with Yuta concluded late that very morning, so ultimately she only got about four hours of sleep – still, she decided it was due time to branch out. There was one person she knew who woke up at the ungodly time, someone a lot more diligent than she was – and someone knowledgeable in her field, maybe not the field Yuzuha really needed help in, but it would be a good start anyway.

"Maki, you're a girl, right?"

Maki stared at her, not sure if she should be offended or laughing.

"Is that some new kind of insult? Or are you an idiot. Come to think of it, you've never been awake at this time, what's with that?"

Yuzuha paused for a moment, realising, yes, she was an idiot, before sighing and scratching her head, the answer coming to her easily: "Can you, no, could you help me practice sword fighting? And, well... there's something I want advice on, or something..."

Maki continued to stare, now wondering whether she was in a weird dream or if the notorious slacker was actually asking her for help. It was the first time she'd actually held a proper somewhat personal conversation with the girl too, both Maki and Yuzuha hadn't a clue how to approach it. Spinning the shaft of her polearm like a fidget tool, Maki leant on one leg.

"Sure. What d'you wanna talk about?" At first, Maki wasn't interested at all – she prioritised the training above the small talk. Whatever it was, Maki couldn't see herself being that interested.

The three male first years all gathered outside of the dorms, casual conversation dotting their walk to the courtyard. Inumaki couldn't actually speak and Yuta wasn't great at carrying a conversation, so it was mostly Panda filling the blanks. They all expected to see Maki already there, training on her own or running laps – and she definitely was there, along with that infamous bush of light blonde hair, now that's what had their heads turning twice. Yuzuha had quite the name for herself, it was known to practically everyone that she never woke up early and, while sometimes she'd make morning lectures (for Yuta), she was always late. Seeing her sat in the field chatting up a storm with Maki was... unexpected, to say the least. Hell, seeing Maki laugh was a sight in and of itself – the three boys blinked a hundred times and only came to grips with reality when it didn't fade into black. Maki and Yuzuha were sat, stationary – not training, in the middle of the training grounds, having girl talk; they were... gossiping?

"So... Since when were Maki and Yuzuha that close, or am I going crazy?"

"Sujiko..."

Yuta was the only one not that astounded, he broke from his reverie quickly and smiled at the sight – he'd always noticed Yuzuha wandering around alone, so to see her grinning and having fun like that was a refreshing sight to see; his eyes softened at her when she laughed and blushed, from the way she waved her hands he could tell she was flustered, and shy when she scratched her cheek. Unfortunately he couldn't hear what they were talking about from where he stood, but considering the myriad of emotions Yuzuha was displaying, he had a feeling it was a good conversation. He could sit all day and just watch her talk so animatedly, just so he could note down every little detail, from how she twirls her hair when she gets bashful or the way she leans forward when she's listening – every minute mundane thing about her.