𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫 - 𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐍𝐨 𝐒𝐞𝐞

Start from the beginning

"Oh," he says sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Anyway, that dummy's name is Jayson," Elias continues. "This is Darren obviously, and the freakishly tall one over there is Matt." He peeks behind him, searching for the others. "I don't know where the others went, probably back to the hotel. But like I was saying this is us."

Ivy was never one for talking. She'd let her body do it for her when she danced. She's not dancing now and yet again, words have failed her. So when expressions leave her mouth, it's not often they have a soft landing.

"Why are you here?"

The question appeared harsher than it was meant to, though Ivy still wanted her answer. New York City is big enough to get lost in and native New Yorkers such as Darren and Ivy who left no part of the city untouched in their youth could always tell when the other is near. After their harrowing breakup, it became obvious that Darren was avoiding the city with extremities.

The thought pushes forth one unshakeable question in Ivy's mind. Why is he here now?

Slowly losing the starstruck feeling taking over his entire body, Darren explains how he and his team were practically forced by their coach to come help with the showcase in order to remain on their hockey team.

"Aww, that sucks," Jude comments. "Have you guys seen Darcy yet?"

"Yeah," the boys sigh tiredly.

"You haven't seen anything yet. This is her on a good day," Ivy says.

Jayson presses forward, resting his arm on Elias' shoulder. "You mean to tell me that she gets worse?" he inquires as Ivy nods her head.

"Look at it this way, at least you get a bunch of good-looking people in tights," Carina teases.

Matt tilts his head, letting a small "hmm" sound from his mouth.

Hush conversations around the room cease as an older black woman enters the room. Her honey-blonde and brown micro braids are held back by a claw clip, allowing a precise view of her face. Black rectangular glasses rest lowly on the bridge of her nose as she looks down at her phone, scrolling upward. Dressed in black tights and a white tank top covered by a dark gray wrap, she begins to address the class.

"Sorry about that, everyone. Maintenance said they fixed our speaker, so it should be ready to go. Oh and before I forget today's auditions are being pushed back a few days. Check your emails after class for updates on the showcase."

Jayson steps away from the group with an airy grin. "Hi, Aunt Lena," he greets her with a little wave.

"Jayson!" Madame Danvers gasps, slipping her phone into the side pocket of her pants. She pulls him into a bear hug, making him hunch over. "You're here."

"This is so weird," Ivy whispers to no one in particular.

"Totally," Darren agrees, making eye contact with Ivy for a split second and then back to the pair.

The older woman is reserved and serious with her no-bull-shit attitude when it comes to teaching. Seeing Madame Danvers hug her nephew with such love and care made for a strange sight. She sharply pulls Jayson back by his shoulders, glancing down at his feet.

"Shoes!" she exclaims. "You're wearing shoes in my studio!"

On the fifth floor of NYSD, an unspoken rule is known by all students; absolutely no outside shoes are permitted on studio floors. Bare feet, pointe shoes, or socks are fine. Outside shoes, however, are not. It's similar to when a person takes off their shoes when entering someone else's home; they don't want to track dirt into the house and the ballet floor at NYSD is no different.