The cave structure was deep with multiple levels to it. Ion led us to the core of the structure where he and his father supposedly spent their days hiding from the creatures of this zone.

After walking for a few minutes in the dark, motes of shining purple greeted my eyes. There was a large metal door at the end of the corridor we were walking in. Through the holes and the joints, purple light leaked out.

I noticed aether around the door slowly moving in and out, in a cyclic manner.

Something inside must be attracting the aether, I thought as doubt and excitement rose inside me.

Increasing the speed of my footsteps I closed in on the door. It was a deep-black in colour, devoid of any notable details. It had a large circular handle hanging from it.

Looking back at the kid, with a nod, I pushed the door open.

My body immediately felt the air around me change in an instant. It was as if a switch had been flipped, as all the ambient aether rushed and swirled around me, grazing my skin...as if studying me curiously.

Then, my body absorbed the ambient aether.

I tensed up at the sudden rush of energy unlike any I've ever experienced. It felt like I was absorbing aether using my armour. But only at a much rapid rate.

I felt my core brimming with power as aether pulsed visibly around my skin. 'Can I possibly create my third layer?' I pondered excitedly.

Just as my mind started spinning around with wild ideas on how to form a new layer, I felt a tug at my arm.

Snapping out of my daze, I noticed Caera's warm hand on mine. She was clearly mesmerised by the visible aether clinging onto my skin; just as she touched it, the purple energy dispersed as they moved away my skin and slowly faded away.

"W-What's happening?" She asked in a contained excitement. It was quite good to see this side of hers, which I could never get tired of.

I open my mouth to answer her but immediately stopped—when I realised she was standing close...too close to me. Our bodies practically touching.

Her eyes studied me for an answer, uncaring to our close proximity. While I looked back at her face—her exposed neck which was only inches away.

I felt her scent wafting off to my position, as it brought all the memories associated with it. The memories of when we would get physically close enough—albeit for the purpose of teleporting. But, it didn't stop me from feeling warm inside my stomach, as my heart skipped a few beats.

She then noticed my gaze was on her exposed neck as her eyes widened.

My face reddened as I quickly turned it away in embarrassment at getting caught. I could see her face and neck turn red...till the exact place where I was unknowingly looking at.

Great! Now she's going to think that I'm a creep. I cursed myself.

The air around us started to get heavy. Not wanting to let it settle, I coughed a few times before speaking up to break the obvious tension. "L-Let's go explore the place."

Caera nodded back mutely, not meeting my eyes. She looked shy and embarrassed, but not angry...so I breathed out a sigh of relief and let her be.

I shifted my gaze to Ion who was blankly staring at a spot inside the aether rich, but otherwise empty room.

'Where next?' I asked him mentally. Without replying back, he lifted his hand and pointed at the archway at the other end of the room. A bright mixture of white and purple was radiating from the other side.