However, the truth was that Sean hated how she lied to him. He knew from that day in the car and every day afterward that something changed in Kaycee. It made him sick to think that he could have been the cause of the shift in her affections towards him. It completely drove him crazy, so much that he barely slept or ate. He just felt, well...empty. He completely succumbed to the fact he'd completely fallen for the woman in front of him. 

Kaycee, on the other hand, was greatly caught off guard by his statements and truthfully, a bit frightened. The moment she had the courage to look up, his face held a somber expression. It blew her mind that he noticed. Honestly, she never thought he would. Even though she wanted to talk to him, Kaycee broke it to herself that he would let her drift.

Sean walked steadily towards her, his footsteps filled with authority as his shoes clapped against the tile. Once the downhearted man reached her, he raised his hands to her face complimented with the rosiness of her cheeks. Kaycee flinched slightly, causing a gasp to flee from Sean's mouth as his hands settled on her jaw, cupping her face. She instantly kicked herself for even thinking for a split second that Sean would touch her with disdain. "I just wanted you to look at me. If I hurt you and that's what's making you avoid me then I'm sorry." He stated sincerely, his eyes softening.

Once she flinched, Sean's head filled with so many questions. There was so much he still needed to know about her and one of those things would be what caused her to flinch at him. He almost wanted to throw this topic out of the window and unpack her trauma, but he wouldn't dare push her past her limits like that.

"Say something." He pleaded after a couple beats of silence.

A deep breath left Kaycee's body in an attempt to calm her nerves. "You didn't do anything- Well, you did but it wasn't anything bad. I just got in my head so if anything I'm the one who should be apologizing." She stated, leaning into him. His touch was the most comfort she felt in a long time. Even though she wanted to pull away, she couldn't do it. His warmth was nearly healing to her.

"I got scared and a bit embarrassed, so I just...shut down. I knew I wanted to talk to you, but I just didn't know how. I didn't want you to think everything was your fault." The shy girl confessed while looking up at him.

"Well, whatever you're afraid of, don't be. It's not worth the frustration." Sean shrugged. He knew it was kind of dumb to say, but he just wanted to take her frustrations away. Everything that got in the way of the concept of them being together, he wanted it gone.

"That's easier said than done, Sean." Kaycee pointed out, backing away from him momentarily. "I can't just forget and drown things out. It's not that easy."

"I understand that, Kayc. I just don't understand why it was so easy to drown me out." He argued with a frown. His eyes were full of sorrow, distant even. She looked away once she felt the pang his words caused in her chest. Her frustration built when she noticed the harshness of his words. "It's not like that and you should know that."

"How am I supposed to when you aren't communicating that?" Sean asked, burning holes into her face.

"I've been trying my best." Kaycee argued, slightly raising her voice while running her hand through her brown wavy locks.

"Sometimes your best isn't good enough, Kaycee." Sean snapped, letting her go. "I'd really just appreciate it if you were honest with me!" He said, now raising his voice. Kaycee felt a rising in her throat, almost as if she were about to vomit. Her chest tightened even more as his words set in. He paced to the counter slowly, leaning over it with his back to the defeated girl.

"Come to think of it, are you even honest with yourself?" Sean pressed. His voice was almost menacing, painfully low. He was getting agitated. It was like once he got close to something in his life, something else always held him back. But the difference was that this time he was all in, yet he still had to wait for her to reach him.