30 - Wakanda/Tragedy

Start from the beginning

All of a sudden, a beam of lightning strikes from the sky, and, once it had cleared, Thor stands with a racoon and a wood looking creature.

"You guys are so screwed!" Bruce shouts through comms.

"Bring me Thanos!" Thor yells, running out to help us. 

We gain control of the battle again and take down a lot more of the outriders. I look over to my left and see Bucky spinning in a circle, holding the racoon in one hand, and his gun in the other.

"Having fun?" I ask Bucky.

"Loads." He replies sarcastically.

"Somebody get to Vision!" Steve yells, watching the window of the lab break and Vision falling into the forest. A couple of the team run over while the rest of us continue in the field.

The rest of the team sprint into the forest as we get the alert that Thanos had arrived. We all go after him one after the other, but we all fail. I hit my head on the ground as I get shoved away from Thanos, watching the same thing happen to the others.

A blue flash of light comes from in front of us before Thor yells 'no' through the woods. I get up and stumble towards Thor and Steve.

"Where'd he go?" Steve asks, "where'd he go?"

"Steve? Laurie?" Bucky says shakily from behind us.

"Oh shit." Steve runs towards Bucky as Barnes disintegrates into ashes.

"English?" Pietro calls out in a panicked tone.

"No, Pietro," I run to him, "no."

"Help-" He falls against me before disappearing himself. I sit amongst his ashes, watching many others vanish, mourning my teammates and friends.

"Sam, where you at?!" I hear Rhodey yell, "what is this? What the hell is happening?"

Steve, Thor, Nat, Rhodey, Bruce, Okoye, Rocket – the racoon – and I all stand in confusion as the last of our team disappear.

Slowly, we head to the quinjet to head back to the compound, though Okoye stays in Wakanda. No one says a word until we're almost home. We're all too heartbroken and horrified by what happened to come up with anything to say.

~

When we get home, Steve and I go to his apartment in Brooklyn, while the others either stay at the compound or go to their homes. I dump my bag on the floor, and flop onto Steve's couch when we get in the door as he leaves the living room to have a shower. I stare up at the ceiling, running the events through my mind and trying to think of a way we could save them. But it was hopeless. I was too exhausted to think of a solution. I would call Tony, but he's still missing from earth, and no one knows if he disappeared as well.

"Hey," Steve says softly, walking into the room while drying his hair with a towel, "shower's free."

"Thanks." I half smile, and make my way off the couch.

"Do you want anything?" he asks, "food? A drink?"

"I'm ok, thanks," I reply, "I'm not in the mood to eat or drink anything anyway."

"Fair enough." Steve nods as I go into the bathroom and shower.

When I finish, I change into my usual clothes - I keep a some at Steve's for when I stay over - and dry my hair. Steve's on the couch with the TV on, which is only showing the recent reports of the day.

"You alright?" I ask him, sitting on a chair next to the couch.

"We've lost him again." He sighs, talking about Bucky.

"We're going to find a way to save them," I promise," I say, "even if it takes years."

"How would that even be possible?"

"I don't know yet," I sigh, "but we'll figure something out."

~

Later that night, Rhodey, Bruce, Steve, Natasha and I met back up at the compound. Nat, Steve and I are standing around a hologram of the globe and monitoring the death toll of the events. It reaches half the population of the world.

"This is a nightmare." Steve sighs.

"I've had better nightmares." Nat chuckles softly.

"What are we going to do?" He asks.

"Wait it out." I say.

"What?"

"There's nothing else we can do other than wait it out."

"What about Tony?" Nat asks.

"If we're still here then there's a chance he is too."

"Guys," Rhodey interrupts, "that thing just stopped doing whatever the hell it was doing."

The four of us move into the room next to us and join Bruce. We stand staring at the pager that got delivered to us earlier. Its screen had turned off and the only light in the machine was coming from the energy supply behind it.

"What have we got?" Natasha questions.

"Whatever the signal is sending," Banner sighs, "it finally creeped off."

"I thought we bypassed the battery." Steve states.

"We did and it's still plugged in," Rhodey informs, "it just stopped."

"Reboot it and send the signal again." I say.

"We don't even know what this is." Banner says.

"Fury did," Nat sighs, "the second you get the signal, let us know."

As she goes to turn around, a woman with blonde hair and red, gold and blue suit.

"Who are you?" Nat asks.

"Where's Fury?" The woman asks.

"We don't know," I say, "who are you?"

"Carol Danvers, a friend of Fury's."