Chapter 2 - Imran

Studying overseas had never been my dream but being the child of a prominent businessman, my father thought it would be much more conducive and safe for me to study abroad.

Well he was right, and there at the U.K I met a lot of people. From Nigeria even. And one of them was Siyyama Aliyu, the daughter of a former CBN director of currency operations.

She was beautiful, calm, and God-fearing. She would always wear hijab to school and everywhere she was going to, not minding what the anti-hijab Europeans would say. Her courage pushed me into befriending her. 

Gradually, we became so close to each other. She was from a different department but that didn't affect our friendship. We would always create time for each other to chat and also explore the city.

She actually knew a lot of places in England, probably because she grew up there. She also knew a lot of people in the vincity of Oxford University. Through her, I met many other Nigerians there.

Our friendship grew stronger with time, and eventually I started loving her. I asked her out but unfortunately she didn't accept me. She politely told me we could only be friends.

When I was finally done with my bachelor's degree there, I did my second degree too while waiting for her to complete her own program. She was studying medicine, a very long duration program...

Upon our return to Nigeria, she introduced me to her parents who came to pick her up at the airport. She also introduced me to her younger sister, Minal who was also beautiful. They obviously got their beauty from their mother.

Our conversation didn't last long as the weather changed and wind began blowing here and there. From all indication, precipitation was going to take place hence we bade each other goodbye and they left.

Just then Musa, my dad's driver arrived in one of our company cars. He pulled over and hopped out immediately. "Ya Imran, we have to go sir. Rain is about to fall" he said as he began loading my luggage into the car.

"Sai yanzu ka ga daman zuwa ko?" I scolded him.

"Sorry sir, wallahi I was caught up in a heavy traffic ne that's why" he explained.

"Fine then" I glared at him and hopped into the car. He hopped into the car too.

Just as he ignited the engine into action and began driving, rain started falling in torrents...

"Hmm, can't believe you are back sir" he said and continued while I pressed my phone, "Alhaji has prepared a present for you at home"

"And what's that?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Something I can't explain, it would be better if you see it yourself sir" he said smiling.

"Whatever!" I rolled my eyes at him.

Immediately we arrived home he conveyed my luggage to my room while my father welcomed me humbly in the sitting room together with his wife, Hajiya Farida. She was my stepmother.

Actually, I had lost my mother a long time ago to a plane crash on her way to Berlin for a picnic. My father then decided to marry his cousin sister after so much pressure from his mother, Inna Larai.

At first I thought he would never love Hajiya Farida, but gradually everything changed. He even encouraged me to start using the word "mom" on her but that didn't happen the fact that nobody could replace my mom.

After the welcoming, my father handed me the keys to a new generation Lamborghini. He also gave me some files which included the documents of a new house at Garima and one of his profitable filling stations across the country.

"All these for me?" I asked unbelievably.

"Yes, and I intend to handover my entire company to you as soon as you get married. I hope you have someone in mind currently?" he said making me to heave a sigh.

The only person I had in mind and loved at the moment was Siyyama, unfortunately she already made it clear to me before that we could never be lovers.

I didn't know why but I guess she just didn't love me, she only liked me as a friend. I should probably ask her out again though, I thought to myself.

***************

Another chapter is down!