ACT I

301 AC- MEREEN, SLAVER'S BAY IN ESSOS

"YOU NEVER SPEAK OF THEM, WHY?" DANERYS ARCHED A BROW AT THE OLD KNIGHT, BEFORE RETURNING HER GAZE TO THE HORIZON ABOVE MEREEN ONCE MORE.

Ser Barristan the Bold as they called him, moved his eyes over to the young Queen, and a sad smile formed on his lips.

"Some memories are harder to recall than others, my Queen." His reply may be short, but his always confident tone seemed to waver.

"Rhaegar- he was a prince of the people," He started. It had been many many moons since Barristan Selmy had thought of the dragon twins. The memories he shared with the former prince and princess often brought him feelings of pain and guilt.

"I couldn't tell you how many times he dragged me from the Red Keep, and down into the streets of King's Landing" He chuckled softly at the memory. It still felt like yesterday... even after all these years.

"Why?" The Queen questioned, a smile gracing her lips as she turned to face him.

"He liked to walk among the people, he loved to sing for them" His arms hung at his side, eyes glossed over as he thought of past times.

A smirk crossed over Daenerys' face in amusement. "He sang to them?" She laughed softly with a slight shake of her head. Her legs moved her back within the comfort of the palace, eyes still facing Ser. Barristan, almost begging him to continue. He had followed her back within the confines, hand placed dutifully on the hilt of his blade, always ready to defend his Queen.

A part of her always had imagined her brother Rhaegar was kinder than Viserys, though her brother never truly told her anything about either of their siblings. He often spoke about Rhaegar's enjoyment of war- and Elaena... she was never really spoken of. Whenever she had tried, her elder brother's eyes would grow dark and hard as iron. Daenerys had been left in the dark about their lives, other than small details Viserys would drop- though she never dared to question him further, not again.

"Rhaegar would pick a spot on the hook or the street of seeds, and he would sing! Just like all the other minstrels" Ser Barristan smiled

"-And what did you do?" Her brows quirked, a smile still gracing her lips.

"I made sure nobody killed him," He told her honestly. "-and I collected the money."

Despite the smile, a slight look of surprise came over the Queen's features, mouth slightly agape. "What? He liked to see how much he could make." The knight laughed.

"He was good?" She questioned.

"He was very good! Viserys never told you?" This time, it was the knight who had quirked a brow.

"He told me Rhaegar was good at killing people" She informed him, taking a seat at the large rounded table.

"Rhaegar never liked killing." Ser Barristan told her, "He loved singing." A sad smile stretched the knight's face. "And what did you do with the money?" Daenerys asked.

"Well- one time he gave it to the next minstrel down the street, one time he gave it to an orphanage in Flea's Bottom... and one time, we took your sister to a pub, and got horribly drunk." Daenerys' musical laugh filled the room at his words, smiling warmly at the thought of her older siblings.

"-And what of Elaena? Viserys always told me she was beautiful- the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen, but that's all he's ever told me," She questioned him, desperately wishing to gain knowledge about the girl.

The smile that had graced Ser Barristan's lips slipped suddenly at her words, a look of grief crossing his features. His brows pulled into a frown, eyes glazed with sadness.

"Elaena..." He attempted, choking back emotion. Her name, which had been unspoken from his lips for so long, caused him to pause. "- she was a gentle woman. She was regal in all that she did, and had the attention of the realm at her fingertips. She was kind... never treated anybody poorly for their birth status... She loved to dance, alone or during feasts."

The old knight exhaled, his eyes travelling to the Queen who stood before him. Daenerys' lips parted slightly, anticipating his words. "She would go hawking twice a moon, she loved travelling to Storm's End, always said it had the best brush for hunting." His eyes harshened at the thought of his princess, travelling to Storm's End all those times. At the time, it was never seen as a problem, but if he could just go back now...

He noted Daenerys was leaning forward, as if urging him to continue, and so he pushed away his own emotion.

"She would come down to Flea's Bottom with us, though she and Arthur would often be out at the vendor's booths- buying fabrics that he would carry back to the castle, or trying new pastries from the bakers." He smiled gently, eyes filled with a longing sorrow for the young princess. "She was born weak, a small babe but so full of life, she loved with her whole heart"

Daenerys did not say anything, simply absorbing the information on Elaena.

Oh, how she wished Elaena were here now, by her side. Her very own sister. A woman as she, who would understand the struggles of a crown.

"-and what happened to her?" Her voice was quiet, almost scared of the answer she would receive.

Ser Barristan tore his eyes away from Daenerys in guilt, shaking his head slightly. "That's a story for another day, Your Grace. It's not a happy one..." He couldn't utter the horrifying words to his Queen. How would ever be able to tell her?

'Oh Elaena' he almost cried within his thoughts, "Please forgive me for not being there to protect you. I will never forgive myself, or any of them for leaving you alone,"