Book 4 Chapter IX: Unwanted Advice

Start from the beginning

He then left the house and went to the Silver Palace in search of Kiriyuki. He couldn't find her, but he found a lady-in-waiting assigned to her who promised to send the letter this evening with Kiriyuki's post. That was the best he could do. Arafaren went home hoping that no one would suddenly be seized by the urge to open and read letters addressed to foreign royals.

On his way out of the Silver Palace he had to hastily jump out of the way of a messenger on horseback. Unfortunately it was a messenger who clearly subscribed to the "pedestrians are nuisances who must be taught a lesson" school of thought. Arafaren stumbled back and fell into the hedge. He glared after the messenger, who didn't even have the courtesy to look round and see if he was alright. She tied her horse in front of the guardhouse and ran in. Minutes later an uproar started. Arafaren, struggling to disentangle himself from the hedge, watched in bemusement as guards raced out of the guardhouse as if it was on fire.

I wonder who's died, he thought. The last time he'd seen such mayhem had been when a candidate for mayor had gotten drunk and fallen off his platform to his death in the middle of a speech.

Oh well. If it was important he'd hear about it sooner or later.

~~~~

"Haliran has escaped!"

The news spread quickly through all of the guards. From them it spread to the rest of the palace almost before the seneschal had time to inform the empress. Raivíth groaned when she heard the news.

"What were the guards doing? How could they let her escape?"

"Apparently there was an accident involving the carriage," the seneschal said. "Haliran escaped while the guards were ascertaining the damage. She's believed to be somewhere in the vicinity of Elegravan. All of the local police are out searching for her. They've posted descriptions of her in all the nearby towns. She won't get very far."

"Don't say that," Ninuath said grimly. "Every time someone makes an assumption like that the universe conspires to prove it wrong. We thought she wouldn't escape and we took measures to ensure her friends couldn't contact her, but now she has escaped and if this news spreads widely her friends will be able to track her down."

"I think we should inform her ex-husband," Raivíth said. "He might know if she has any friends in the area. Where is he? Still in Gihimayel Palace?"

"No, he's gone to Tananerl."

"Then we will have to send the message through Prince Ilaran."

~~~~

Ilaran could count on one hand the number of times he'd received a message from his aunt that contained good news. From the minute Kivoduin informed him there was an urgent missive from the Silver Palace he knew it was going to be something he didn't want to hear. It would have to happen right after Siarvin arrived, too. Now Siarvin would complain Ilaran was doing too much work. He'd already asked if Ilaran was getting enough sleep and eating enough. Ilaran knew his uncle meant well, but it was strange to be mother-henned like this after centuries of taking care of himself.

He took the letter to his study to read it in peace. What it said was beyond his worst fears. He'd expected news about yet another bill proposed by idiotic politicians miles away that would negatively affect Tananerl. Instead... How was he going to break this to Siarvin?

Naturally it was at this most inopportune moment that Abihira's thoughts intruded on his. I can't say all that. It has to be ten words or under. Maybe if I cut out this line...

Ilaran sent her the telepathic equivalent of an annoyed neighbour shouting "Keep it down!" at the noisy teenagers next door.

Sorry, Abihira said. Don't suppose you know how to keep a telegram short, do you?