Chapter 43: The Last Mabelcorn

Start from the beginning

  "I can at least promise to try my best." 

  I looked up at him from my prone position.  He had a soft expression on his face.  I kissed him gently on the lips.  "Thank you for not assuming the worst out of me." 

  Ford stroked my hair.  "Well if I did that then you would probably kick me out of bed and make me sleep on the couch for a week."  He joked lightly. 

  "I would never."

  He hummed in faux skepticism as he laid us back down on the bed.  "I don't know, you get pretty upset when I assume the worst out of situations." 

  "You know I'll always forgive you eventually, Fordsie."  I smiled as he cuddled up to me and started to kiss my neck. 

  "Mhmm.  I'm working on being better about that.  For now though..."  My husband nuzzled me.  "I'll spend every waking moment trying to make up for how I treated you."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Later in the day, Ford and I went to the living room table and laid out some things. I ran downstairs to grab his bag as he called for the family meeting. As I set the duffel down, the children rushed in. Teddy and Winter came in moments later.

  Ford stopped laying out his papers on the table and sat down. "Ah, children.  Come in, come in!" 

  Mabel stood on the chair next to mine and her eyes lit up.  "Ooh, mysterious scrolls and potions!  Are you going to tell us we're finally of age to go to wizard school?"  She started rummaging through the bag.  "Is there an owl in this bag?"  My niece asked excitedly.

  My husband quickly moved the duffel away from her.  "No!  I can assure you if there's an owl in this bag, he's long dead."  Mabel frowned as he continued.  "Now children, do either of you recognize this symbol?"  Ford held up a scroll emblazoned with the image of Bill Cipher and several Egyptian hieroglyphs surrounding it.

  Teddy's eyes grew big as the kids gasped.  "Bill."  Dipper muttered ominously.

  Ford glanced at me in concern.  "You... you know him?"  He cautiously asked his nephew.

  "Know him?  He's been terrorizing us all summer!  I have so many questions and theories..." 

  "Dipper's been pretty paranoid since Bill turned him into a living sock puppet."  Mabel interjected.

  "The important thing is we defeated him twice."  Dip said in affirmation.

  Mabel nodded happily.  "Once with kittens and once with tickles!"

  Dipper scowled.  "It was a lot more heroic than it sounds."  He said in protest.

  My son and his wife looked at me with confusion written all over his face.  I gave him a "I'll fill you in on the details later" look before directing my focus back to my husband.

  "The fact that you've dealt with Bill is gravely serious."  Ford muttered as he stashed the scroll away.

  "So, how do you know Bill?"  Dipper asked.

  "I've encountered many dark beings in my time, Dipper."  My husband dodged the question while avoiding the boy's gaze.  "What matters is that his powers are growing stronger, and if he pulls off his plans, no one in this family will be safe!"  He said seriously.  "Fortunately, there should be a way to shield us from his mental tricks.  A way to Bill-proof the Shack."  Ford started drawing circles on a copy of the Mystery Shack's floor plan.  "All I have to do is place moonstones here, here, and here, sprinkle some mercury, let's see... I always forget the last ingredient!"  He muttered before opening Journal One and rolling his eyes when he found the right page.  "Ugh, unicorn hair."