Chapter 16: The Unexpected

Y/N's POV
Six years later

  "Y/N." I felt Ford trying to shake me awake. "I figured it out. I know what we need to do."

"Hmm?" I sat up from my slumped position over the desk. "What?"

He seemed to be vibrating with excitement. "I know what we need to do to get a better understanding of Gravity Falls." Ford grinned.

Oh boy. It's time. "We're going to need Fiddleford's help." I yawned as I stretched out the aches as best as I could.

"We do?" He scratched his head. "That didn't really occur to me. Since we've been doing fine out here on our own..."

"We need his help. Trust me." I looked into his eyes meaningfully.

His confusion turned into understanding. "This is a timeline thing."

"Yes."

He nodded before taking my hand and leading us to the kitchen. "I'll call right now." Ford paused. "Wait. Is he still on the east coast?"

I sighed. "No, he moved to Palo Alto with Lauren. Running a business out of his garage."

"Ah. Thank you." He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before turning to the phone.

I opened the fridge. "Hmm. Toast and orange juice it is." I said out loud to myself. As I get halfway through breakfast, a wave of nausea overtook me. "Oh God." I run to the bathroom, and immediately throw up. I felt a hand rubbing my back in a soothing way.

"Is the food not settling right with you today?" Ford asked gently.

I only nodded right before throwing up again.

"That's been happening lately... are you sure you don't want to see a doctor?"

"I'm... sure." I managed to say as the nausea subsided. "Let's check the expiration on the food."

He helped me up and walked me to the kitchen. "Well... the orange juice was supposed to expire today, and the bread still has three days left." Ford grimaced. "We need more food."

"I can get it."

He looked at me in concern. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. You go set up a guest room for Fiddleford." I smiled as reassuringly as possible.

He hesitated before slowly nodding. "Okay. Be careful out there, I don't want the gnomes going after you again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sighed as I looked at the medicine section of the store.  I've had my suspicions since the first time I started throwing up, but this is really nerve wrecking.  I groaned.  "Screw it."  I grabbed two of the boxes of pregnancy tests and tossed it into the cart.  "Now here's to hoping that Ford won't freak out if it turns out positive."  I mumbled to myself as I started putting stuff onto the conveyor belt. 

  "Did you find everything you were looking for, hon?"  A pleasant female voice chirped as I heard the items being scanned. 

  "Mhmm."  I kept avoiding eye contact. 

  I could see the lady was frowning at my unfriendly demeanor, until she noticed the box.  "Oh..."  She gave me a sympathetic look.  "Your husband isn't a fan of children?" 

  "We were putting our careers first before even thinking about having any." 

  She nodded.  "I see.  In that case..."  The lady handed me the tests.  "Best to put those in your purse then.  Don't want those getting lost in the groceries, do we?"  She gave a quick wink before scanning everything else. 

  "Thank you, I really appreciate it."  I say as I paid for everything.

  She smiled.  "You're welcome, dear.  Good luck." 

  I walk out of the store, not sure on how to feel.  Should I be excited?  Should I be scared?  If I am pregnant, is this going to cause issues in the future? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  I stare at the tests.  Both were positive.  How am I going to tell him?  Then I heard a knock on the bathroom door.

  "Is everything okay?  You've been in there for quite some time."  Ford said from the other side. 

  Well... here goes nothing.  I opened the door, holding the sticks.  I quietly handed them over to him.  "I'm pregnant."  I whispered. 

  Ford stared at the tests in his hands in shock.  "But... we were careful.  How did this happen?"

  I felt my heart starting to sink.  "Things happen."  I looked down at the ground, too afraid to see his expression.  I suddenly felt him embracing me.

  "Y/N, I love you.  We might not be prepared but..."  He took a shaky breath.  "We'll do the best we can." 

  I slowly hugged him back.  "I love you too, Ford."

  He rubbed my back.  "So where do we start?" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few days later

  "Fordsie, Fiddleford is here!"  I call out before going outside.  I open my arms wide.  "Good to see you again, my friend."  I hugged McGucket.  He seemed surprised but he hugged back.

  "It's nice to see you too, Y/N."  He let go and smiled at me.  "You're going to have to fill me in on what you two have been doing since we last saw each other." 

  I chuckled.  "Of course I will.  There's plenty to tell."  I helped pick up his bags. 

  "Oh no.  Oh no no no."  Ford came out of the house, his eyes focused on me.  "You aren't carrying those."  He took them out of my hands and set them down.

  I huffed.  "Stanford, I'm not fragile yet.  I can still do things."  I picked them back up. 

  Fiddleford stared in confusion as Ford was about to try to argue with me, but then he finally noticed his old college roommate.  "McGucket!  I'm glad you came."  He patted Fiddleford's back before snatching the bags again.  "Let's get inside."

  I sighed and turned to the bewildered man next to me.  "We found out that I'm pregnant not too long ago."  His face turned into one of understanding.

  "I see.  That makes a lot more sense.  I was similar when Lauren was expecting Tate."  We walked inside.  "And she was just as stubborn about doing things."  He laughed. 

  "Alright."  Ford said as he descended from the upper floor.  "Let's get started on designing our portal."