3 L I B E R A T E D 3

3 L 3

"A few minutes until closing time," I reminded myself as I put the mop back up in the cleaning closest of Mr. Cherry's grocery store.

"Liberty. Mr. Cherry needs you on register four. I'll finish getting all the shopping carts in," my coworker told me. I held in my look of exhaustion. I'm sure that was the complete opposite of what the older man had said, but sure, I'll do your work for you, I thought bitterly.

I made my way to register four, pulling out my badge to log myself in. "Hello." Damn. Not even three seconds logged in and somebody already in my line.

"Hello. Hope you found everything you were looking for today. My name's Liberty," I stated in the most peppy voice I could manage.

"I found everything and more," the lady chuckled, "I'm Cameron."

I could already see my coworkers at other registers turning off their lights, lucky enough to not have any customers in their lines. It was almost closing time, yet I could still see more customers streaming in through the doors with hurried expressions.

"I saw your sale on pickles and knew I had to get some," the lady chuckled.

"Did you see our sale on carrots too?" I asked. Any time a customer mentioned one sale we were supposed to mention another. Sometimes I followed those rules, other times I didn't.

"Gosh. No." The lady glanced back at a random aisle that I knew for a fact didn't have canned carrots on them, nor the fresh ones. "Not enough time to go and get them now."

"Yeah, we're closing in a few minutes," I offered her a tight smile, hoping she would be sympathetic with my poor soul. "Oh, I think I see them right there." She glanced back again. "There's nobody behind me. I'll- I'll be quick. I'll be back before you finish scanning the rest of my items."

The woman scurried off as I fought fatigue and scanned her items. Usually, I was just a bagger, but apparently we were short staffed today, so I had to pretend like I knew how much a dime and a nickel was worth (don't do too much, I know my quarters and my pennies), and bag groceries.

By the time I was done scanning her items, the lady still wasn't back, and it was two minutes behind closing time. I turned off my light and pretended like I didn't see a man and his kid when they rushed past me, looking for an open register. Maybe Onella was right; maybe I don't really need this job.

"I'm back. I'm sorry, girl," the woman smiled at me apologetically.

"It's alright. Did you find them?"

"Find what?" the woman blinked at me, putting a can of peas onto the black conveyor belt.

"I- Never mind," I gave her another tight smile.

I could feel my phone blowing up in my pocket. Probably my mom asking if I still needed a ride home or if I had gotten one already.

I hurriedly checked the lady out and logged out of my register. I pulled out my phone and leaned against the conveyor belt, my body releasing the tension of my day.

Mom😇: u needa rude still?

Mom😇: ride*

Me: yea. srry, work ran late ❤️❤️

Mom😇: it's ight. I'll be there in 10-20

I made my way outside of the store, taking off my vest on my way out and handing it to the new dude on the job who conveniently was standing near the doors. Mr. Cherry told us not to go too hard on him, but honestly the nigga was so gullible that it was so hard not to.