"It takes far more than a spear to kill me, Kalem," I say as gently as I can, "I was hurt so badly because I was weak and lacking blood, but I'm okay now."

Kalem makes a keening sound as he burrows closer, his large hand settling over my chest, "Y-You didn't move for a week."

It's my turn to still as the words settle over me. A week? I couldn't recall an injury ever being so bad that it put me down for so long.

Apparently, I'd been far weaker than I'd realised to require a full week of healing.

"I'm sorry, my love," I whisper. "I'm sorry I left you alone for so long."

"I should've protected y-you," he argues, melodic voice turning hard. "I didn't protect you."

I keep my mouth shut, hating that Kalem even thought he had to protect me whilst simultaneously loving the prospect that he loved me enough to try.

"Alright, how about we go back home when you're ready," I offer with a kiss, "when you feel sure that I'm strong enough, so that we can protect each other."

Kalem doesn't answer immediately, but he allows for a tiny nod which was a step in the right direction.

If a week had already passed, then odds were the clan was in shambles following all that had happened. Malcolm could do only so much, especially when there was supposed to be new leadership for an entire species, and the leader wasn't there.

The urge to return was ever-present, but I'd be damned if I put my love's needs second to anything again. If Kalem needed more security before we went home, then we wouldn't leave until I helped him find it.

For now, I'd work on bringing that beautiful smile back to my boy's face.

"In the meantime," I start while I pass my finds over the length of one of his wings, "would you mind telling me about how this happened?"

Jumping to his feet as if he'd just been waiting for a moment to talk about his wings, Kalem squeals loud enough for all the realms to hear while he excitedly jumps up and down.

Twirling for me, he shows me the sleek beauties that spread wide and flutter to show off as well.

"I have wings!" Kalem screams when he twists back to me, his smile so massive it made my heart swell. "Wingssssss!!!"

"Beautiful wings," I praise with a chuckle, "they're better than pixie wings."

Cue Kalem erupting in three, two, one...

Kalem disappears. Popping away from his excitement, he leaves me alone in the cave, but I could tell he hadn't gotten too far from the continuous screaming I heard outside.

I saw little flashes of him as he popped and flew all over the place, returning to the cave in little bouts to share his sunshine with me.

Gods, my love was stunning...

Returning after a few minutes of freaking out, Kalem pins me with a serious look.

"You can't say that again, Lincoln!" Kalem says between pants, now slightly out of breath. "It gets me too excited!"

I chuckle as I make a show of zipping my lips, "I promise to keep those dangerous words under lock and key."

He nods his head firmly before he pulls himself to his knees beside me, "They were there all along, Master, just waiting for me! Zhoron helped me reach them. I had to break my form from before," he explains excitedly, "I'm a light Nyphilim, so I just had to let all the light in."

I nod at Kalem, pretending to understand that last part so that I didn't have to put an end to his contagious joy, but I couldn't help but ask a question about this Zhoron.