Chapter Fifteen - As One Adventure Ends, A New One Begins

By the time Christmas came around, Wels and Zedaph had both moved out of their apartments and into a new one, closer to their new job. To the normal eye, they ran a news article website, the two being the only journalists and employees. However, they quickly became known to the Underground as the place to go when they got screwed over, or needed aid with paranormal activity. Although they didn't see Doc and Bdubs often, the two had stayed in touch and were able to drop by the apartment for the Christmas party the two were hosting. Once Zedaph had fully recovered, Wels learned he was a machine of productivity and had to be practically forced to take time off. Hell, it took large amounts of coaxing to convince Zed to go to bed some nights, especially during a bigger case.

However, that wasn't his focus for the day.

It was Christmas Day, and while waiting for guests, Wels once again 'accidentally' stepped under the archway entering the living room where he had hung mistletoe with Zedaph. "Oh gosh, guess you have to kiss me now!" He sighed with sarcasm coating his words.

Rolling his eyes and laughing, Zedpah held his jaw and pulled him down for a kiss. "Are we all set for the party?" Zed double-checked when they broke apart, though he stayed close.

"Everything is ready to go," Wels assured him as he fixed his blonde curls with a warm gaze.

The doorbell buzzed, signaling someone downstairs. After quickly stealing a second kiss, Wels headed over to the front entrance.

-

"Put that down," Wels chided, lightly smacking the back of Hels' head. With a shit-eating grin, Hels put down the decorative vase he had lifted as if he was going to smash it. Besides him, EX, Xisuma, Stress, Scar, Doc, Bdubs, Cleo, and Beef had come over. Wels had learned that X knew of the Underground, and once again felt bad for not asking for help like with his twin. Although X had insisted it was all alright, seeing as how he and Zedaph were fine, he did ask that if there ever was a next time, to indeed alert him.

"I'll babysit him, don't worry," Xavion assured him, joining them in the hall.

Wels scoffed. "If anything, you both need babysitting."

The sound of whistles from the living room drew their attention. The trio arrived just in time to find Doc and Bdubs caught under the mistletoe. It seemed someone explained the concept to Bdubs, who simply rolled his eyes and pulled the hybrid down for a quick kiss. Wels suppressed a laugh as Bdubs walked away in favor of eating some donut holes, unknowingly leaving behind a mildly flustered Doc.

"There you are!" Zedaph appeared beside him with a grin. "I was just talking about you with Stress!"

"Nothing bad, I hope," he joked, lacing their fingers together.

Zed nodded. "Oh, only bad things about you," he teased with a serious expression. "No seriously we were talking about the teas she gifted us for Christmas!" Lightly swinging their hands, Wels guided him over to the table of food.

"So, how's been working with Doc?" He prompted Bdubs as he and Zedaph compiled small plates of food.

"It's been fun, actually! We just got back from a trip to the other side of the country, but once the new year hits we'll be traveling overseas. I never thought I'd ever get to see so much of the world!" He excitedly rambled.

"Seems like you two enjoy each other's company enough then, yeah?" Zedaph added with an unmistakable twinkle of mischievousness in his eyes.

A dusting of pink bloomed on his freckled cheeks. "Yeah, I like being around him," he added, his voice softening. Before Wels could comment further as the idea of teasing his friend was itching his brain, someone appeared on the other side of him, resting their elbow on his shoulder.

"So this is your 'Ghost-Eyes' friend huh?" Hels commented with a wide grin. "Shame we didn't meet sooner."

Wels nudged his side. "You just don't stop, do you?"

His medium friend rolled his eyes. "First off, my name is Bdubs," he corrected. "Second, I'd rather you not boil down my personality to my unwanted ability." Bdubs took a sip of his water as he kept his eyebrow raised at Hels.

"You're a fun one I see. I get why Doc likes hanging out with you," Hels continued to tease.

"Why're we talking about me?" The group of four looked over to find the aforementioned hybrid strolling over to join them for food.

"You like hanging out with me," Bdubs stated as Doc stole a strawberry from his plate.

As Doc put a hand on his shoulder as he reached over him to create his own plate, he hummed in agreement. "This is true." He glanced back at Zed, Hels, and Wels and gave a small smile. "How have you and Xavion been, Hels?" He asked.

Hels pulled his elbow off Wels and sighed into a smile. "Happy. It's nice to spend most of my time around someone who indulges in my antics," he blissfully explained.

Wels scoffed. "You're not allowed to get arrested anymore, I hope you keep that in mind," he nagged, causing Hels to cackle.

-

Zedaph was smiling so much that his cheeks were hurting. He found himself enjoying watching his boyfriend go back and forth with his brother. He leaned against Wels' arm as he munched on a cookie. Hels then prompted Doc and Bdubs to recount an adventure, to which they began explaining how they came across a geode so large it was a cavern within itself. They were surrounded by a white crystal which when a light shone on it sparkled an iridescent color.

The group moved to the living room as Cleo joined them and they exchanged different encounters within the Underground. Wels and Zed even let their friends in on the current case they were working on with Cleo's help.

Of course, no one let Doc go un-teased as he draped an arm over Bdubs' shoulders. With everyone finally together in the living room, the last of the gifts were exchanged.

For him from Wels, Zedaph received a homemade leatherbound book.

"I figured you were long overdue for a journal of your own. I know you said that you felt bad that your entries in the other book didn't help us, but I thought you'd feel better if you had your own book to write in. And you can bind more pages to it if needed," Wels explained.

Carefully putting the book beside him, Zed pulled him into a tight hug. Wels was wearing the cardigan he had bought him, and it indeed was 'the comfiest thing ever', as described by his boyfriend. "You're so thoughtful," he thanked as he squeezed him.

"Thank you for coming into my life," Wels murmured so quietly into his ear that no one else around them heard.

He took a sharp breath to counteract the sudden burst of emotions in his chest. Burying his face in his shoulder to hide his urge to cry, he admitted, "I wouldn't be here without you. I love you, Wels."

Pulling away, the other kissed his forehead. "I love you too," he murmured.

Humming, Wels cuddled in Zedaph's embrace as they observed the rest of their friends receive gifts.

Zed hadn't felt happier.

Zed hadn't felt more alive. 

-

I hope this was a satisfying conclusion! Thank you for following this story, but this is where we end. There won't be a sequel/spin-off, although I could write more about Wels and Zedaph's new business or Doc and Bdubs' adventures, I have no ideas and would rather leave this book as is in pursuit of other projects! I appreciate the constant support as always, and I hope you consider reading my other books if you have yet to! :D <3