Chapter 40 - One last thing

Start from the beginning

"Now go and don't make me see your ugly faces ever again," William said, turned on his heel, and put a hand to his eyes not to watch them disappear behind the distant trees as he walked off.

"What if they call the cops on us?" Eleonora asked. "There's a lot of incriminating evidence here, you know."

"Yes, I am aware of it, Elie. That's why we're getting out of here. That was Trevor's plan. You can thank him later."

Both Eleonora and Jackson shot confused looks in Trevor's way, so he decided to explain.

"I wanted us to celebrate William's birthday in a nice scenery," he explained. "Besides, it was—"

"It's your birthday today, William?" Eleonora demanded, speeding to catch up with him.

"Yes, it is. Indeed," he said shortly.

Eleonora raised a hand to her mouth and gasped. "How could I forget?"

"If it makes you feel any better, I forgot about it too, and I've been his buddy for about one hundred years now. So we kind of celebrated a hundred of them on the same day." Jackson appeared with his smile.

"It's not like we didn't miss it," William said with a shrug.

"Oh, Willy, we always did something. What are we planning to do now?" he asked, then wrapped his one arm around William and the other around Trevor. Trevor couldn't hide the grimace, as he felt like his ribs would break any minute. "Huh?"

"Ask Trevor. It was his idea," William told him.

"Someone's not in the mood, it seems." Jackson flicked a look at him.

"I'm not not in the mood," he lied quickly. Trevor could hear that from his tone. He then sighed. "But I don't know if letting Houston go was a good idea."

Jackson stopped, bringing them both to a halt with him.

"What'd you want to do with him?" he asked. "Don't tell me you'd lock him up in a cage or something."

"But what if he tries to find a way to make new vampires out of humans?" William asked. "It's not like new vampires don't pop up every now and then. The gene isn't dead. Obviously. We can't do anything about it. But making new vampires may cause some serious issues. What if people find out about the mutation, and it suddenly stops being just a myth? An old wives' tale?"

To everyone's shock, Jackson slapped William in the face without any hesitation.

"It won't happen," he said matter-of-factly.

William rubbed the place he'd been slapped, even if it didn't hurt. "How can you possibly know that?"

"Houston's scared shitless of us. He just won't. Besides, your logic doesn't work. What about Ashe? They shot Trevor and almost killed him." He pointed at the brunet, who suddenly felt self-conscious. "She shot Eleonora too. They shot me, though it was a miss. I didn't have a silver bullet up my head for years. Maybe I should try it? It'll make me feel something. Wanna try this with me?" His brows went up and down as he grinned at William's annoyed expression.

"You're unbelievable," William said, then rolled his eyes before walking away.

"That's why you love me!" Jackson shouted.

Trevor couldn't stop himself from glaring at him, and Jackson seemed to have seen his sideways look.

"Oh, don't worry, man." He turned to Trevor. "I don't mean it like this." Jackson gave a shrug and laughed. "We did hook up once, though."

Trevor's eyes popped in disbelief. "You did what?"

It only caused Jackson to laugh even more.