Red Rover

It was around midnight by the time Seong Gi-hun got to the train station. He carried a small briefcase with him that contained a pink soldier uniform. It didn't have a number yet, but Gi-hun knew he couldn't be 29. After doing a bit of research, he had learned that a cop had infiltrated the games by dressing himself as one of the pink soldiers. Unfortunately, the cop was shot and fell off the cliff.

Gi-hun saw a younger man earlier playing ddakji, along with that suspicious looking man that he had played the game with once. Gi-hun had tried to catch the young man leaving with the familiar golden card, but he had already boarded the bus and was headed for the location.

There's no way I'm letting anyone participate in those games again, he thought.

Gi-hun noticed that the bus had stopped. He quickly gazed around to see if he could get a glimpse of where the man had gone. He then suddenly saw a familiar looking van pull up.

This is my chance, Gi-hun thought, as he quickly put on his pink soldier uniform. He quickly and quietly got off the bus and made his way across the street where the van had pulled up. The man was already getting into the car once Gi-hun saw him.

"Hey," a voice from behind him said.

Gi-hun turned to see a soldier pointing his gun towards his chest.

"What are you doing here? I don't see your number. Are you a new recruit?" they asked.

Gi-hun wasted no time with his answer.
"Yes, I am. Sorry if I'm late. I had trouble with transportation."

"Why didn't you ride with us?" another soldier asked. "If we knew there was a recruit, The Frontman would've told us so."

"It was a very last minute decision," Gi-hun told them. "I don't want to keep the Frontman waiting, so we should go."

The soldiers looked at him for a moment before letting him inside the van.

"You'll have a number assigned to you once you arrive at the location," a soldier told him. "The Frontman will determine your rank and responsibilities. Do you understand?"

Gi-gun nodded, but said nothing.

"Good," the soldier said, "you should have no issues then."

"So...where are we going exactly?" the young man asked, looking extremely anxious.

"You'll see soon enough," a soldier said, turning on the gas.

Gi-hun watched as the man slowly closed his eyes and became unconscious, leaning his head against the window. It was another few hours until they had reached the location. Gi-hun noticed that it was a very remote location.

"Well?" one of the soldiers asked, "Aren't you going to take him inside with the other players? You have a job, you know."

Gi-hun nodded quickly and picked up the man gently as he followed the other pink soldiers inside. They lead him to a large room with several beds. ...The same room he was in not too long ago.

Gi-hun laid the man down on one of the beds and then turned to the other soldiers, waiting for instructions.

"We'll take you to see The Frontman," one of them said, "you'll get your soldier number and rank. Then The Frontman will give you your next orders. Do you understand?"

Gi-hun nodded. "Yes."

The soldiers said nothing else as they walked down a hallway that seemed to have a gold shine to it. And at the end of the hallway was The Frontman. Gi-hun kept quiet as he approached him.

"So, you're the new recruit?" he asked. "I need your name."

Dammit, Gi-hun cursed.

He hadn't had time to pick an alias. His mind ran through several names until he found one that fit.