Chapter 2

I opened my eyes with difficulty. Everything was blurry, but I could perceive someone at my bedside. After a while my image became clearer and I recognized Peeta's face.

" You're awake Katniss. " he whispered and ran his hand through my hair. I noticed his blue-purple eye, which was also just slightly open." Peeta...your eye." I said strained and reached out my hand to his temple." It's fine. My eye is doing great." he laughed. His face felt warm. I stroked from his temple to his cheek. Realizing this, my hand snapped back to the bedspread. " I'm sorry."

" Oh don't worry about it. It will be gone in a few days." I looked around the room. The lights had dimmed and it was already dark outside. " Katniss?" Torn from my thoughts, I looked back up at him." Yes?" I asked cautiously. " I need to ask you something..."

My heart started racing and I got nervous, but tried to hide it." You said earlier during your seizure that Haymitch sent you to me. " " Oh that..." " You wouldn't have come over on your own would you?" " No. I mean, I did, but... I don't know." " And why did you kiss me?" My pulse rose again. " It just came that way." I said bluntly. " Alright. Thank you."

He stood up and was about to leave.
" Peeta?" I sat up and actually wanted to say something, but I couldn't get a sound out of me." Get some rest." he said quietly and left. He sounded hurt, but I could tell he was trying to cover it up. "Stay with me," I whispered softly, lay down again and closed my eyes.

The next morning I was rudely awakened by loud clinking of glasses. Hoping that Peeta was waiting for me downstairs and had made breakfast, I went down. But there I only found a drunken Haymitch, who had distributed bottles and glasses criss-cross over the table. "Haymitch!" "Oh, you're awake too, sweetheart. " " And you're drunk as a skunk." I said annoyed and started to clean up the empty glasses and bottles.

" What did you expect? Peeta?" I dropped a wine glass, which shattered on the floor. " Hey! That was a good wine glass!!!" he shouted angrily.  " Is he back at his place?" " Aren't you going to apologize?!" " What do you want me to apologize to him for?" I asked uncertainly.

" What? Who? I'm talking about the wine glass! Apologize to him asap!" I shook my head in annoyance." You really are good for nothing." I was about to leave the kitchen when I kicked in a shard and cried out in pain. "Oh and if you're looking for Peeta he went back home last night. " Haymitch called out and joined the broken wine glass. " It's okay, she didn't do it on purpose..." he whispered.

I shook my head again and limped into the living room. There I sank down on the sofa and removed the shard from my foot. I looked at the blood-stained shard of glass and got an oppressive feeling. Instinctively, I got up, grabbed a cardigan, and limped to Peeta's house. It was so cold outside that my hands almost froze when I knocked. When Peeta opened the door I was met by the smell of fresh bread. He was wearing a flour-stained apron and his face was also stained with flour." Can I come in?" I asked shakily. " Sure, as if I would leave you standing here. " he said laughing, but it didn't sound genuine. Still shaking all over, I entered his house." Come sit by the fireplace and you'll warm up quickly. " He hopped back into the kitchen and apparently continued to work on his bread.

In the living room it was nice and warm and also cozy. But I was drawn to the flowers on the windowsill. Carefully lined up, four primroses were planted by Peeta in a long flower pot. The first white, the second red, the third purple and the last orange. A tear left my eye." I thought, before they die outside, I'll plant them here." I turned and looked at Peeta. " They are really beautiful. " I said softly and sat down on his sofa. " Do you like a piece of bread? It's just came out of the oven." He asked with a smile. " I'd love to. "