Chapter 17: Valentine's

Start from the beginning

♤♤♤♤

Angela walks into the scan room, eating chocolate's that Mark got her, "Is this our flower guy?" She asks Cristina and Owen.

Owen doesn't look at her, "Yeah. He has an intrapericardial diaphragmatic hernia."

"Whoa. How did his abdominal organs get into the sac around his heart?" She asks, peering closer at the scans. 

"Oh, his chest hit the wheel when he crashed."

She sighs, letting out a breath, "Well, I'm gonna have to reduce the hernia. Book an OR. Bump any non-emergent patients and find someone to scrub in with me. Oh, and tell Dr. Altman that she can take the heart transplant she had scheduled for me."

Cristina nods, before informing Angela, "Dr. Hunt has agreed to let me back on your service, so I can scrub in with you."

"Really? Good."

"We need to get in there before he tamponades, so we should move as quickly as possible," Owen tells them before leaving.

Angela snorts, "Remember, I'm the one that taught you to be quick and efficient."

♤♤♤♤

In surgery, Angela stands next to Owen as Cristina stands across from her, "Yeah, watch the-"

"Oh, sorry. Sorry."

Steve Mostow, a resident, asks, "So anybody got any Valentine's plans?"

They all look at him, Angela starts, "My boyfriend has a baby. With two moms. They are going away for the night, without the kid. Which means we're probably watching her tonight. Dr. Hunt isn't speaking to me because I went against him or something. He wants a baby. Dr. Yang doesn't. So they don't speak to each other even though they're married. So...no. How about you?"

He looks stunned before starting, "Um, my girlfriend and I are gonna..." They all almost glare at him, "Nothing. Nothing."

♤♤♤♤

Talking to the driver, Angela checks over his incision, "Looks good."

Owen tells him, "You should be back on your feet in a few weeks, but I wouldn't recommend pulling any more all-nighters, even on holidays like today."

"Oh, trust me, brother. I'm done. I mean, what a stupid business. People call you up, you know, they ask you to make something beautiful. Yeah, so some sorry schlep can forget that they've been treated like crap every other day of the year. Yeah, like my flowers are magic or something. But I bought it. Nearly killed myself trying to make sure everybody got their little miracle. What a joke. People just oughta just stop being so awful to each other, you know? Leave me out of it," He coughs.

Angela packs up her charts, "Dr. Yang will be by to check on you later."

"Thank you."

Owen follows her out, "Angie...can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Oh, now you want to talk?"

"Angie, please," Owen asks, grabbing her arm and leading to her to a room.

"Okay. Fine, what do you want Owen? What has your problem for the last two weeks been?" Angela asks, crossing her arms.

He sighs, shaking his head, "I know that I've been...a jerk for the past few weeks, but I could really use a friend right now. Teddy hates me, I'm moving out of my house, I could just use a friend."

Angela scoffs, shaking her head, "No. You have been treating me like crap for no reason. So what? I did a surgery that I was better for and you got pissed at me. What the hell did I do so bad?"

Owen sighs, shaking his head, "No-it-I-look, I can explain if you just liste-no. You're here. Instead of there."

"Oh, my God. This is about Megan. Wh-you think I abandoned her?!" Angela yells, questioning the man in front of her.

"Well, you are here, aren't you?"

"So are you!" She screams, "I had to leave. I was forced by my superiors for mental health reasons. And the only way I'm ever going back is to retrieve Megan. That was the deal I made for my friend. For my sister. She was like my sister Owen and the fact that you think I could just forget about her is a horrid thing for you to say. Especially since no else here knows about her!  You are hiding your sister from you friends. From your wife."

He shakes his head, "You don't get to judge me-"

Angela stops him, "I can and I will when you accuse me of not caring for my friend. You know-this is why you have a problem with settling down or not accepting Cristina's right to choose what happens with her body! You are afraid of ending up alone so you-you push everyone away! I'm done! I will not stand here and be told what a terrible human being I am for coming home. See you in hell, Owen."

♤♤♤♤

Getting to Mark's apartment, Angela uses her key and opens the door, throwing her purse, keys and coat onto the ground, "Someone's not having a good day."

She looks up and sees Jackson, Lexie and Mark eating steaks and drinking wine while Sofia and Zola sit in the play pen together, "What is happening?"

"Sloan and Lexie are helping me study. The girls are having a play date. And you look like hell," Jackson tells her.

"Is that wine?" She points at the bottle, "And is there any steak left?"

"Of course. It's Valentine's Day. I made sure there was steak for you. And your glass is on the counter," Mark gets up, grabbing her plate and giving her a kiss.

Angela takes the glass of wine and downs it before sitting next to Mark on the couch, "Okay, what are we studying?"

Jackson looks between her and the wine glass she was refilling before stuttering, "Uh-um-uh-ca-cardio, actually. Uh, steps for a cardiomyoplasty."

"Perfect. Okay. Tell me what you know and I'll tell you the right steps once you are done."

♤♤♤♤

AN: Owen and Angela drama. Got to have some hate between them that won't be properly solved until Megan is safe in season 14.

In other news, the season 18 finale of Grey's is 2 HOURS LONG! I just want to know who dies, leaves or is otherwise traumatized. Also, ADDISON IS BACK MAY 5th!!! 

QoC: how do you think Angela and Amelia are gonna get along?

Thanks for all of the reads and comments and votes!!!!