Chapter 16 - Untold Stories

Start from the beginning

If you want to show up is what she meant.

Me: Yes
Me: I'll be there

~~~

I was outside of her apartment at 6:30.

I paced until exactly 7 o'clock when I knocked.

Evelyn opened the door instantly, almost if she was as anxious to have this conversation as I was.

"Come in," was all she said.

I wiped my hands on jeans, suddenly even more nervous than before.

She sat leaning against the headboard of her bed, holding a pillow to her chest. I sat on the very edge of her bed, waiting for her to speak.

"First, I want to say that I forgive you," She pauses.

What?

"No, no. I'm sorry."

"I know. And, honestly, you should be. What you said hurt, but I know you didn't mean it."

"How are you forgiving me? I was an asshole."

"Yeah, but it was an honest mistake. I can't fault you for being human. And I could hear it in your voice, I woke you up." She smiled to herself, "You always drawl your words when you're tired, and you did it last night."

I don't know what to say.

"I knew you didn't mean what you said yet I was cruel to you anyway."

"You acted like any self-respecting person would. You were justified-"

"No, I wasn't. And I'm sorry. But you deserve to know why I reacted as I did." Evelyn drew in a shaking breath, holding her pillow tighter, "When I was younger, it was just my dad and I. But he didn't like me very much," Evelyn said quietly. "He said it was my fault she died. Time after time, he tried to get rid of me one way or another. One time he promised me that he'd take me to this new skate park a few counties over. He drove me there, told me forgot something at home, and drove away. I waited for him for eight hours before my friend's mom saw me alone and drove me home."

A tear slipped down her cheek, "It's been almost eleven years since that day, but I've never forgotten that feeling. That sinking, dreadful feeling of realizing that no one is coming. Or, even worse, that no one cares enough to come. I hadn't felt it since he died but, I felt it last night. When you didn't show up I felt just like I was that little girl at the skate park again."

Whatever showed on my face, empathy, pain, she looked at me with a sad smile. "I'm okay now, Michael. It was a long time ago. Honestly, I haven't thought about that day in years, but...I thought about it all of last night and this morning. I know you didn't mean to, but you struck a nerve in me. I just wanted you to know why I acted how I did."

I opened my mouth to say something, but she held up her hand, silencing me.

"I'm not done. I know I may have overreacted a little bit, but I'm still hurt that you forgot. Despite whatever happened for you to forget the date, you stood me up. And that's not okay."

I sighed, "I'm sorry, Ev. You deserve to know why and, quite honestly, it's a pathetic excuse but I was so tired after work I just wanted to take a nap, I didn't mean to sleep the whole evening."

"Michael, that's fine. But if you felt like shit before coming, just tell me and reschedule. It's no big deal. Communicate, Michael. It helps both sides."

"Okay, I will. I promise. I'll communicate everything."

"Everything?"

"Yes, I'll never shut up."

"You? I highly doubt it," She laughed and everything felt right again.

~~~

HEYYYYYYYYYYYY
If that was trash, sorry, I wrote this at 4 a.m. and writing them making up was a lot more difficult than expected 😂😂😂
And YAY they're back and happy together.
Whatever could Derek have been (allegedly) doing? Hmmmmmm
I'm going to try and put out another chapter later today or tomorrow.
Bye!!!