15-Meet the Asshole

Start from the beginning

I know instinctively that this is the car for me. Jumping off the wall, I wait for the man in the driver seat to step out.

When he sees me his eyes dart down to his phone screen, after just a brief glance he nods his head towards me.

"Lucia Greene?"

I nod my head but smile thinly at the name Enzo has clearly given this man.

"Si, io sono Lucia Greene."

The large man walks around the car and opens the door for me.

Smiling politely, I slide into the car seat and mumble my thanks. Once the door is firmly shut, he walks back to his own door and starts the car up.

Sighing, I lean my forehead against the cold glass of the tinted window. My phone buzzes in my lap.

Assuming it's Amanda, I look at the message.

Enzo: Are you in the car?
Enzo: Are you safe?
Enzo: Sweetheart, answer me. Now.

Biting the inside of my cheek, I shake my head with a smile.

Me: I'm fine. You have to give me a chance to reply!

Enzo: See you soon sweetheart.

When the familiar sight of Enzo's massive beach side mansion, my stomach bubbles at the prospect of being held by Enzo.

The way his arms feel around me as he comforts me tells me something I'm too scared to voice yet.

I love him.

"Thank you," I say with a smile as the silent, mystery driver opens the door for me.

His jaw twitches slightly in the memory of a smile, but it's not much. Everything about this man screams professional and firm.

"Mr Russo says to wait for him in the house, the code for the door is 4186."

"Grazie."

I walk up the marble polished steps, my gaze falling on the chiselled pillars at the entrance to his 'house'.

Approaching the door, I see the pin pad next to it. With the numbers for the code still buzzing in my head, I push them in and wait for the beep.

As I wait for the door to open, I get the strangest sense that I'm being watched. Nervously, I flip my eyes over my shoulder but no one is there.

Unable to shake the feeling that I'm being watched, I almost sigh in relief when the door clicks open.

I'm relieved, until I recognise the face of the man who opens the door.

Paolo.

The smarmy bastard who didn't look at my face once at that first sodding party. I could really do without this shit today.

"Well, well, well." He drawls, leaning against the doorframe, "look who couldn't stay away from the money."

"What?" I question, already feeling my stupid bottom lip beginning to tremble with the weight of the day.

"Get out of my way, Paolo." I snap, "Enzo wants me here."

"Sure he does." He chuckles at me and his eyes cast uncomfortably over my body, "when he's bored with you, come find me."

"Fuck off," I snarl as I push my way through the door feeling protected with the knowledge that Enzo is coming for me.

As soon as I'm back in the house, I search for the nearest bathroom. I don't feel entirely safe being in the house with pervy Paolo without Enzo in the building.

Once I find ones I dash in and slam the door shut, making sure to lock it behind me. Then, once I finally feel secure, I let myself slip down onto the cold tile floor.

Letting myself sob into my knees, I wait for Enzo to find me.