Shock and Delight II

Start from the beginning

"I require no further conversation." Berbrooke said before shooting Anthony a crude smile. "Though, perhaps I am finally speaking to the true head of the Bridgerton house. For I imagine you would have instructed your sister to take better care than Han to encourage certain attentions while alone with me on the dark wall at Vauxhall. Of course, merry hearsay at such a scandal could wreak havoc on even the most influential of families. What would someone like, say, Lady Whistledown do with such unseemly information."

"Is that a threat?" Anthony asked, his tone more hostile.

"It is certain not. Because I'm three days I am to marry. I have the diamond of the season. I have the very best the time has to offer. I have a Bridgerton. And I shall save her, as well as your entire family from the ruin which you could not protect them." Alina moved forward and read the license that Berbrooke had not so kindly pushed into Anthony's chest. Simon had stepped forward to hit Berbrooke again however Benedict had made sure to grab the duke.

"I look forward to the union of our great families. Bridgerton....Hastings." Berbrooke quickly stalked off, leaving the entire Bridgerton group in shock at what had just happened. It wasn't long before everything had been packed away and Alina found herself sitting beside Anthony in the carriage with Daphne and Violet.

"I must issue my challenge to Berbrooke straight away." Anthony said already deciding to take the drastic way out of this.

"Anthony-"

"I've been properly trained in the matter. I know the rules to follow." Alina's head snapped over to him faster than she thought possible, having enough of the idea of losing him already.

"You are not to duel with Berbrooke. Do you understand me." She demanded, her fear of what would happen. Anthony stared at her surprised by her sudden tone, not thinking that she would have been so angry at the thought of him dueling. But he decided to ask her about it later.

"My god, I do not care what kind of training you think you may have. It is illegal, not to mention positively horrific." Violet added just as despondent as they all felt.

"Gentlemen are left with no other choice. When a young woman, let alone one's sister, is rumored to be dishonored, the consequences shall be deadly!"

"It is no solution." Daphne interrupted, "should Lord Berbrook make good on his threat before your shoot him dead, brother, what happens then? He may decide to open his tiny mouth at any moment, and then I shall be ruined. As will we all. I must marry Nigel Berbrooke. It is the only choice." No one said a word for the rest of the journey and once they had departed the carriage Alina headed straight to their shared room, wanting to change out of her day dress.

"What is the matter?" Anthony asked, shutting the bedroom door. Alina sat at her vanity and began to take the small flowers that Marie had placed earlier that morning.

"Why must you go to the most barbaric way to settle matters?" She asked not looking up at him. She could feel her eyes begin to sting with coming tears as her mind continue to think of what life would be like without him and the fact that he had yet to tell him her secret. However, as she sat there, she couldn't bring herself to. In her haste to undo her hair she had managed to cause quite a tangle and as she tried harder to undo the knot it seemed to get worse. Finally, she just snapped. "Ugh! You are so foolish! You are so quick to act, and you do not think things through, Anthony! Why do you pretend to know what is right all the time and lack the ability to at least get another's opinion?! But know you must use your useless man brain you might as well take a long walk off a short pier!" Alina huffed slightly out of breath and leaned forward to place her elbows on the vanity and her head in her hands. Anthony didn't say anything, instead he took off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves as he moved to stand behind her. Gently, Anthony removed each flower from her hair along with all the pins holding it together. Once he was done, he picked up her brush and began to brush through the large not that she had made. However, he still did not speak as he continued. Alina finally moved back to sit up and she spared a glance up at him, but he stared at her hair in concentration. "I'm sorry." She said softly. "I'm not sorry about telling you not to duel but I didn't mean to get so angry. I don't know what is wrong with me lately." Alina knew it was a lie, she had been told many times that being pregnant caused her to have such mood swings. Anthony huffed a laughed and looked at her through the mirror.