𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚍 𝙿𝚘𝚕𝚊𝚛𝚘𝚒𝚍

Start from the beginning

"What sorts of things did you talk about?"

"We talked about... about books and shows and songs and eclipses and zombies and bike helmets and I guess our... our hopes and dreams." He tells him, but then looks down shamefully, "For the summer, I promised I'd write her letters. But I never wrote her. I just... summer gets away from you and stuff happens and I guess I didn't really think that she'd be thinking of me. I mean, I didn't think I was that important. And you always think that... you think that you'll have plenty of time."

Grace closes her eyes painfully when Clay begins to cry and whimper, knowing that she can't go to him and comfort her brother.

"I'm sorry." He apologises, wiping away a tear.

After that, Dennis was finished with his questions so it's time for Sonya to stand up. Grace grimaces, watching the woman walk up to him cockily, she knows that this will not end well.

"Clay, you've testified today that Hannah was a victim of a culture of bullying at Liberty High." Sonya starts off gentle like she usually does before going for her prey. "But isn't it true that you are also a part of that culture?"

Clay's response is clipped, "No, I don't think I am."

"Well, isn't it true that you agreed and helped Grace Jensen take pictures of Tyler Down through his window that you then circulated around the school via social media?"

Grace sighs shamefully, feeling utterly guilty that her actions are now having a negative cause on her brother.

"Yes, but—"

Dennis stands up from his seat, "Objection, Your Honor. Beyond the scope of the direct."

"Your Honor, he's already testified to the nature of bullying at Liberty." Sonya defends.

"I'll allow it." The judge states.

"Of course you do." Grace thinks bitterly.

"Clay, isn't it true that you were suspended from school for possession of marijuana?" She asks.

Clay's eyes shut in frustration, "It wasn't mine because I was set up."

"I see." Sonya hums. "And at any point subsequent to that suspension, did you attempt to buy more marijuana?"

"Yes, but I was—"

"And isn't it true that your vandalism caused thousands of dollars of damage to Zach Dempsey's car?" She enquires.

"I was angry at him." Clay defends himself, not making any eye contact. "I... I paid for the damage."

"What did you do when you were angry at Courtney Crimsen?"

"I just took her to Hannah's grave." Clay sighs.

"And isn't it true that you accused her of being responsible for Hannah's death?"

"She is responsible." Clay finally snaps, sticking up for himself. "All of those kids are responsible."

"Are you responsible, Clay?" Sonya then taunts, Grace fuming in her seat, Matt having to whisper to her to calm down. "Are you responsible for Hannah's death?"

Clay thickly swallows, "Yes, I am. I let her down. But there are kids who did a lot worse, kids who you let skate, who did things that you won't even talk about. And adults at Liberty don't—"

Sonya cuts him off, "Request to strike that as non-responsive."

"So ordered." The judge says. "The jury will ignore that answer."

"Clay, you've testified that you were Hannah's friend but never her boyfriend, is that correct?"

Grace scoffs lowly, finding this questions to be totally not relevant and annoying. Why should it matter if they dated or not?