Heartglass 25: Shattered

Start from the beginning

"That's good to hear. I also heard that he is spending more time with you than the other ladies. Maybe you have a good chance to become the next queen," Queen Adriana said, her face remaining unreadable.

It was kind of awkward to hear that from the queen. I was not sure if it was intentional. But it was as if she was provoking us to be jealous of each other. Maybe she wanted to test how we handle our emotions at times like this? Maybe she wanted to know if we would easily break or not. But that was just so cruel. It seemed we were undergoing a trial right at the palm of her hands.

The other ladies didn't dare to speak. I also kept my silence. Lady Shirdine just shyly smiled. "I'm not really sure, Your Majesty. The ladies here are actually better than I am. My chances are really slim. It's too early to decide that."

The queen nodded a little. "You're right. It's too early to decide yet. Being the Crown Princess is not a simple matter."

Lady Shirdine nodded. "That's true, Your Majesty. The Crown Princess is also the future of this kingdom."

"Very well." Queen Adriana turned to Lady Jaera. "How about you, Lady Jaera?"

Lady Jaera forced a smile. "Well, I also enjoyed my time together with His Royal Highness. As Lady Candice said, he is a gentleman. He patiently walked with me in the garden. Talking about the things I like. He also listens to whatever I say. I had a lovely time with him."

The queen nodded. "I hope you get along well in the future. Even though you are not tied with love and intimacy, you should still understand the future king if you want to become the queen. How about you Lady Azalea? I heard you're not spending much time with my son lately. Did he have a change of heart?" Queen Adriana asked with a measuring look. Her blue eyes were coldly gazing at me. I couldn't discern if she wanted to hear how miserable I was because of this setup.

I shrugged my shoulders a little and put down my teacup. "Even though we didn't spend much time with each other, we both treasured those moments, Your Majesty. We're spending our time in the library. I think that is quite intimate. Sharing the books we both love to read. Sharing our deep thoughts and aspirations. Talking about our future plans."

I didn't even blink with the straight up lie. Of course, we didn't do that. We were looking for books to fix the curse and it wasn't intimate at all.

The ladies went silent. I noticed the fierce gaze Lady Jaera casted upon me. Even Queen Adriana's gaze was icy cold. Lady Shirdine bit her bottom lip and tightly clasped the hands placed on her lap. Lady Candice just looked at me at the corner of her gray eyes and lifted her teacup to take a sip.

Tension filled the air but I chuckled. "You don't have to worry about my relationship with the Crown Prince, Your Majesty. There's a chance that he will change his mind about me. Maybe when I die, that is," I smiled widely. I watched their reaction. I was really desperate to know the mastermind so I could finally decide on what to do. I didn't want the feeling of being trapped in a cage of uncertainty while my predator was out there watching me in the darkest part of the room, ready to devour me. I wanted to face her head on if possible.

Lady Shirdine worriedly turned to me. "We won't wish for your death, Lady Azalea."

She was so naive. She was not their target now but if ever I really died, she was definitely next on the list. This was not a simple selection and in this place, no one wanted their rival to live and succeed.

"Are you implying that someone here wants to kill you?" Lady Jeara laughed with disbelief.

Lady Candice smiled a little. "You're a little too extreme, Lady Azalea. No one will dare kill you inside the palace."