"That's obvious. There are many people who are so afraid of who you are, they would...never listen to reason."

"Do you promise not to tell?"

"I promise, Amanda."

"Good," said a male voice from the door. "Otherwise I would need to kill you."

"Uncle Eugene, Uncle Eugene." More reminiscent of a puppy than a kitten, Amanda limped for her uncle and threw her arms around his midriff.

Demoral, impeccably clad in riding gear with a dark blue coat that seemed molded to his impressive physique, regarded Corinna calmly over the child's dark mop of curls that nestled under his chin. There was mockery in his green eyes that matched his niece's. Mockery—and a challenge.

Corinna raised her chin. "You'll find me difficult to kill, my lord. People have tried before." She bit her lips, but the words were already out.

He raised a brow. "Why am I not surprised? You just aren't in the usual style, are you, Miss Wolverstoke?"

"Nor is your family."

His smile didn't reach his eyes. "Quite so. However, I didn't realize your...uniqueness would be that lethal. There is something you're not telling me, and I shall find out what it is."

The harm was done, the word was out, and all she could do was pick up the gauntlet. He enjoyed verbal sparring? Well, with a figure like a pugilist his behavior was unsurprising.

Corinna called herself to order and curtseyed. "Many have tried. Few succeeded. I assure you, I'm quite harmless, and my intentions are good."

"They might be, Miss Wolverstoke. They might be. Joking aside, you need to understand that I quite mean what I say. You will find the denizens of Demoral Park a closely knit community. We all...look after each other. Anyone who dares to break the peace will find out just how much we care for this peace."

Amanda let go of her uncle and limped back to her bed. "Pooh, must you talk like that? I tell you Miss Wolverstoke is a right one. No need to eat her."

"Amanda." The Marquis's voice snapped like a whip. "I told you. Don't joke about these things."

The girl pouted.

Corinna counted to five until she found herself capable of speaking again. As if she hadn't known already she really shouldn't have come to this place.

"Pray tell me, my lord. How many panthers exactly prowl the grounds, and what times of the day—or night—should I avoid in case I wish to take the air?"

He raked his fingers through his coiffure. Since he had arranged his dark locks in the windswept style—which suited him eminently—the effect was hardly noticeable.

"Only Amanda, and from her you have nothing to fear."

"Forgive me, my lord, I find that hard to believe."

He raised a brow, a bold, black arch reminiscent of Japanese calligraphy. "Do you now? With people like us, there are many misunderstandings. We don't change into ravenous beasts whenever the full moon is out. We don't fight endless wars among ourselves. Well, if we did, we wouldn't differ greatly from the rest of humanity. Nor do we wish to enslave humanity."

"Or eat people," Amanda crowed from her bed.

"Shush, you," said her uncle. "Enough of this nonsense, you must rest. You're running a slight temperature. Your new governess and I have much to discuss."

"Pooh, I've been resting all morning."

"Go back to bed." As quiet as it might be, the marquis's voice carried enough authority to cow an army.

"I shall return later," Corinna said. "To see if you need company."

"Please," Amanda said. She waved and withdrew behind the frilly draperies.

"Walk a while with me," Demoral said. "There are a few things I must tell you. And even more I must understand about you."

Oh no, you don't.

"Hah, you only wish me to sleep because you want to romance Miss Wolverstoke." From behind the curtain came a cheerful gurgle. "She's soo pretty, isn't she?"

"Amanda. Stop this. At once."

Corinna had a hard time holding in a snort, while his lordship turned unfashionably puce in the face, a color that didn't suit him.

Her stay might be fraught with danger—but she didn't experience that much enjoyment in ages. 

1338 words of 27500

This chapter is dedicated to my dear author friend @elisabethlong  , the author of the wonderful "Midnight Calling". It's amazing, it's lively, funny, and the story is completed!