Chapter 21- Gifts and Goodbyes

Lumine POV

She was done for the day. Unfortunately. As Paimon almost instantly fell into a deep slumber, Lumine was thinking. Thoughts of her brother, of what he had done, what he had said, whirled in her mind. But every time, only one question remained.

Why?

She was distracted by a small, timid knock coming on her door. She called out, "Come in." She was surprised to see a certain green haired Adeptus on her door. Hesitantly he said, "I, uh, was wondering if you would come along tonight." Tonight... Oh my, how could she have forgotten the duty Xiao does for Liyue every night. Now that her nightmare was starting, this was gonna get difficult. But no matter, she was the ace of difficult. "Of course." she said easily. "Just lemme have a drink first." She turned away from him and quickly chugged down a small vial, labelled- 'Use carefully. Can cause painful death in mortals.' Then she turned back to him, nodded, and said, "Lets go."

_______

Oh, how good it felt to be back with her sword, fighting monsters in sync with Xiao. Though she knew it would increase her debt, she didn't care much. She had killed thousands of monsters, a few more would do nothing. Besides, she had taken the medicine, hadn't she? At the end of the night, she stood over dissipating monster remains, and battle trophies. She used her palm vortex to gather them together, so that she could collect them easily. Beside her, Xiao dusted his palms. She smiled at him as he said, "Well? Does it not get easier every day?" "It does." he muttered, averting his eyes. He crossed his arms. He still had his pride. Still the same old Xiao, unwilling to accept help from anyone. 

On a more serious note, she asked him, "Do you think that you will be able to do it alone when I'm in Inazuma?" "Of course. I have done it for 2000 years." She sighed. "Just don't forget to take the medicine, alright? Don't change too much by the time I come back."

He snort-laughed.

"So have you found a way to go?" "Indeed. Beidou, captain of the Crux Fleet, is holding a clash, If I participate, and win, she will take me to Inazuma aboard the Alcor." "I see. You still look slightly pale, Lumine, Perhaps you should go and rest." "I am fine!" she said hurriedly, but he had already disappeared into nothingness. She sighed.

(Timeskip to leaving on the Alcor)

She looked around the Alcor, which was about to leave soon. People were hurriedly stuffing crates of rations and stockpiles in different places. She turned to see the towering Guyun Stone Forest. She leaned forward, resting her head on her palms. 

As she stared at the scenery, one of her elbows slipped down from the railing, making her lose your balance. When she refocused in the distance, she saw a figure near the temporary waverider waypoint, their eyes looking towards the Alcor. She frowned. Turning to Beidou, who was overseeing operations, she spoke, "I think I see someone suspicious nearby. I'll go check it out." Beidou nodded without removing her eyes from the workers.

She turned and teleported to the Domain of Guyun. After a small bit of climbing, etc, she came upon the person who had been wandering there. But she was surprised to see who it was.

"Xiao??" she asked. "Is something wrong? Do you ne-" She was gently cut off by Xiao. "You... are leaving today, are you not?" She nodded. "I- I decided to get you some crystalflies today... Since I had nothing to do... I thought they would look nice in your hair. Before I knew it, I had caught several more than intended. I hope you don't mind." His cheeks had gone slightly red while saying this, at which she smiled and shook her head. He paused and said, "I also brought my special dish... I do not care much for celebrations. To be able to spend some time with you is enough...." By now his cheeks had gone the color of Diluc's hair. She simply grinned, and murmured, "I appreciate the sentiment." At his questioning look, she added, "And the gift." He nodded, satisfied. 

But why would he do such a sweet thing? He didn't usually do this kind of thing. Until she realised, it must be his birthday. He had never told her. But it was this sort of weird tradition in Tevyat, that instead of receiving gifts on birthdays, they gave stuff away. 

She leaned against his shoulder, facing the sunrise. He froze for a moment, then very slowly did the same. As they rested their heads on the other's shoulders, looking peacefully at the sunrise, she smiled and said softly, "Happy Birthday Xiao...." He looked surprised that she had figured it out. "What gave it away?" "The fact that you gave me such a sweet gift in the first place." He nodded, but didn't speak any further, content to watch the beautiful gold hues of the sun rising. With her. She felt happy that Xiao was finally letting her in. In his presence, she felt her own newly-risen darkness calming.

When the sun was fully risen, she knew that the Alcor would leave soon. She turned to him, and said softly and sincerely, "Thank you. For everything you have done for me in Liyue... I will never forget it." He shook his head and mumbled, "Think nothing of it." 

She told him with a hint of mischief, "Remember to keep in touch. I'll do the same too." "Great."

She hugged him. Hard. "Can't. Breathe." He choked out. "O-oh I'm sorry." She mumbled, hurriedly and embarrassedly. She released him quickly. "I- I should go now. The Alcor is leaving soon. Cya!" With that, she hurriedly teleported to the Crux Fleet, leaving behind one very flustered Xiao, rubbing his neck with wide eyes.

Kazuha smiled and said, "You were just in time. We were planning to leave soon." She nodded breathlessly. 

Xiao POV

He watched the Alcor leave, its sails extended magnificently, still in a daze about what happened before. He knew that she wouldn't be returning for some time. He quietly prayed to Rex Lapis for her safe travels.

He would only wish later that he could have had that bone-crushing hug for some more time. Before things went totally topsy turvy.

(1121 words

A/N So you will have to forgive me for these short chapters, I was kinda out of inspiration for these. But know that the next chapter/s will be longer, since I intend to make things go VERY wrong in them. O.o I will start writing the next chapter now, but whether it will be out tomorrow or today, I don't know. Cya!)