twenty-two

Now that Umbridge was made the first and only High Inquisitor at Hogwarts, she walked around the school more high and mighty than she already did.

Argus Filch, the caretaker, was happy to hang up any new rules that she had. Him and his cat, Mrs. Norris, also seemed to have a spring in their step.

Umbridge started going to classrooms and critiquing professors in front of students, people seemed to notice that she loved to go after the Divination teacher, Professor Sybill Trelawney.

But Zoya had to hand it to her, she did love seeing the look on Professor Snape's face when she taunted and critiqued him.

"You applied first for the Defense Against the Dark Arts post, is that correct?" She asked as she circled Snape.

"Yes."

She stopped by his shoulder and looked up at him, "But you were unsuccessful?"

He stiffened up and kept his voice as monotone as usual, "Obviously."

But her mood was quickly shot out when she was with a group of people watching Fred and George play around with a spark. Umbridge walked up to them all and held up her wand, making the spark travel into it.

Zoya stared at her as Fred walked over to her, putting an arm around her. Umbridge waved her wand as she started to walk away from them, pulling the two apart.

She then tried to lunge at Fred, but he held her back as Umbridge nonchalantly walked away with a smile.

As weeks went by, more and more rules continued to be hammered into the stone wall. Umbridge continued to barge into classrooms and critique without warning, and she would also fix every little detail of the student's appearance and behavior.

Almost 3 weeks later, everyone was on edge. Zoya had only seen Fred during the weekend and when it was time to eat, but even then the students became hammered with more homework than ever.

As Zoya and Harry were walking out of a class together, groups of students were pouring out into a large courtyard.

"What's going on?" They asked, seeing Augustus.

"It's Professor Trelawney." He replied, walking with them outside.

They found her in the middle of the courtyard with luggage around her. Filch carried a case to her as she mumbled quietly. Umbridge walked to her, "Six... sixteen years I've lived and taught here. Hogwarts is my home. Y-You can't do this." Professor Trelawney pleaded.

"Actually, I can." Umbridge replied, holding up a letter.

Professor McGonagall passed Zoya and Harry, heading straight for Umbridge and Trelawney. She wrapped her arms around Trelawney as she cried into her shoulder, "Something you'd like to say, dear?" Umbridge asked McGonagall.

"Oh, there are several things I would like to say." McGonagall snapped back as she continued to comfort Trelawney.

The doors leading inside swung open, and Headmaster Dumbledore came walking out. He made his way to the three, "Professor McGonagall, might I ask you to escort Sybil back inside?"

Professor Trelawney's mouth fell open in shock as McGonagall helped her walk inside, she thanked Dumbledore profusely on her way in.

"Dumbledore, may I remind you that, under the terms of Educational Decree Number 23, as enacted by the Minister–"

"You have the right to dismiss my teachers. You do not, however, have the authority to banish them from the grounds." Dumbledore harshly replied, "That power remains with the Headmaster."

Umbridge gave him a forced smile, "For now."

Zoya, Harry, and Augustus made their way to a small lounge not far from the library. Ron and Hermione caught up with the two, and now, Hermione was pacing the room.

"That foul, evil old gargoyle!" She frustratedly said, "We're not learning how to defend ourselves. We're not learning how to pass our OWLs. She's taking over the entire school!"

"Really?" Zoya asked Hermione as Augustus ate the chocolate he received from Remus, "Where did you get that idea from?" She asked from beside Ron on the couch.

The radio caught their attention, that being the voice fo Cornelius Fudge, "... and security has been and will remain the Ministry's top priority. Furthermore, we have convincing evidence that these disappearances are the work of notorious mass murder Sirius Black. We also believe there could be a chance that the killer of 6th year Hogwarts student Cedric Diggory, Lorelei Malfoy, could be working closely with him. Make no mistake..."

The fire behind them began to to crackle loudly as a voice called out from it, "Harry!"

They slowly turned to the fire and Harry shot up from the couch, "Sirius! What are you doing here?"

"Answering your letter. You said you were worried about Umbridge. What's she doing? Training you to kill half-breeds?"

"I've been telling Lorelei in my letters..." Augustus chimed in.

"Not enough." Sirius replied.

"Sirius, she's not letting us use magic at all." Harry said as they gathered around the fire.

"Well, I'm not surprised. The latest intelligence is that Fudge doesn't want you trained in combat."

"Combat? Ron asked, "What does he think, we're forming some sort of wizard army?"

"Well, that's exactly what he thinks. That Dumbledore is assembling his own forces to take on the Ministry. He's becoming more paranoid by the minute. The others wouldn't want me telling you this, Harry, but things aren't going at all well with the Order.

Fudge is blocking the truth at every turn, and these disappearances are just how it started before. Voldemort is on the move."

"Well, what can we do?"

A distant sound was suddenly heard, "Someone's coming. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but for now at least, it looks like you're on your own."

"Sirius, wait." Augustus quickly said, "How is Lorelei? I-I can only know so much from letters."

"She's alright."

Sirius disappeared from the fire, and the flame went out. Everyone moved away from the fireplace as thunder began to go off outside. Hermione walked to the window, "He really is out there, isn't he?" Hermione quietly asked, "We've got to be able to defend ourselves. And if Umbridge refuses to teach us how, we need someone who will." She said, turning around to look at Harry.