"No way," he gasps, as if to hint that he is just as surprised and thrown off by your changed appearance as well. Gentle but also giddy is the embrace he gives you and you find that you lose yourself in his arms. Whether it is because you'd missed him so horribly or because you'd felt a weird twinge of attraction, one thing is certain: you do not want him to let go. Maybe ever. "I missed you. I can't even believe you're here with me." The sweet nature of his words is making you all the more weak, pure putty as you rest in his hold. "And the fact I'm your trainer just kinda feels like fate, honestly."

"God, I missed you too. I lost your number and could never get a hold of you afterwards."

"Oh, I just recently became more active on social media. I'm so sorry." He sounds sincere as he unwillingly pulls back and you're broken out of your daze as he gestures to your plethora of options to choose from. "We could get started on whatever you'd like, the treadmill. The elliptical. I read in your request that you were mainly focused on the abdominal area, but were also interested in doing some tricep work. Your best bet's probably the cable weight one."

"Sounds good to me, let's do it." You follow him over to the display of pulleys, and take hold of the handles with feet planted firmly and hip width apart. "I did pretty much exactly this at my old spot. Make sure you time me for about two minutes, okay?"

"Got you." Intently, he watches as you pull down with both arms time and time again. It is effortless and admirable how you give it your all, laser focused on your goals and determined to meet them. "Can I make a suggestion if that's okay?"

"What would that be?" Pace ongoing, you continue as he positions himself directly behind you and grazes his palm over your lower stomach, the warmth of his breath felt against your earlobe as he talks.

"You're gonna wanna brace your core so it works your abdominal muscles as well." The tips of his fingers glide up from your belly button softly on up to the midst of your torso. It was highly unlikely that was part of his instruction, it felt more like a discreet excuse to tiptoe the line between platonic care and romantic yearning. A streak of guilt runs through you for assuming it was mutual to begin with, and yet the undying hope remains that maybe it could be. "Good girl." Deeper and more aggressive is that statement and goosebumps raise from head to toe. "Just like that."

"Kai," you whisper almost breathlessly and swivel around to face him only to note he is stepping away. A stabbing feeling rears its head as you watch him take a purposefully long swig so he doesn't have to eke out some response that won't explain the nature of his actions. To put an end to the awkward silence, you resume working out as normal and pretend that your stomach isn't bubbling with anxiety. Every yank on the rubber handle feels different now and no matter how you attempt with all your might to think of literally anything else you simply cannot. And so you push on, finishing the 50 reps and eyeing the treadmill a couple of feet away as it's part of your next set.

"Great job on the last exercise, hope you're not too burnt out to kill it again." Kai joins you on the free treadmill on your right, firing up his FitBit and giving you a supportive nod. "On 3 we'll start, okay?"

"Okay, no problem."

You position yourself accordingly and adjust the speeds on the digital dashboard, making certain you both click the start button in unison and run in nearly the same pace with each other. See, at least when you had been focused on your arms you hadn't been so distracted by how muscled his were. Veins flex as he keeps forward, totally oblivious to the fact he's got an audience. The fluorescent lights paint him in a much different light as they cast a glow across his golden skin, and you flash back to the glory days of your pre-teen years and remember how lanky he used to be. Mean kids would call him "Bones" and push him around in the hallways because they knew he didn't have the strength to fight back. If only they could see him now, nothing short of a Greek god.