Occupied

Songs to listen to while reading:
"Rhinestone Eyes" by Gorillaz
"Closer" by Nine Inch Nails
"Hearing Damage" by Thom Yorke
"Maneater" by Nelly Furtado
"In One Ear" by Kid Bloom

Vibrant multicolor lights flashed as bodies gyrated against one another. To come alive in the night and leave behind a monotonous existence was exhilarating. No one had to know that you were behind on your mortgage, or that you'd suffered through a disastrous breakup. If you lost yourself in the music, any and all problems would dissipate into thin air and you would be just another free and careless spirit. The bass of "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails was absolutely infectious, and every soul in the crowd was raving to the raunchy lyrics with pure joy.

"What do you say we make this night even better?" Eva, your best friend stood beside you with a cosmopolitan in hand. The slur of her tone indicated that she was buzzed as she leaned her elbows back against the granite counter of the bar and wobbled in her platform boots.

"How so?" you giggled, enjoying your own club soda as the bartender shook a mixer for another thirsty customer after having delivered yours.

"I bet twenty dollars that neither of us can have a wild sexual encounter by the end of tonight. And if you do, I'll pay up. But knowing how you and Jeff ended not that long ago, I don't know h-how willing you are t-to move on that fast." Jeff was your ex-boyfriend you'd wasted six months on. Art class at university was where you'd first met, and he'd seemed like most men did in the beginning. Loving, caring, full of promise. And oh, sure, everything had been straight out of a romance movie - until you'd found him in bed with one of your classmates. Regardless of the fact she had transferred, lessons were still awkward being that he hadn't.

"Sex doesn't have to meaningful, Eva. Have you ever heard of friends with benefits? One night stands? If some guy with a big dick comes wandering in asking for a little action, who am I to say no? I think I'm owed pleasure. Eenie weenie Jeff couldn't even find the clit, for fuck's sake." It was almost a joke how bad in bed he had been, and the only savior had been your handy vibrator.

"Pick one, then." Eva bounced excitedly up and down, the curls of her afro jiggling. "Who are you doing the nasty with, babe?" Her manicured finger pointed to an Asian man with a man bun and hipster glasses. "How about him? He looks like he'd show you a good time?"

"Nah, he kinda looks like that other dude I dated prior to Jeff. Remember Steven? He had the same hairstyle. Do you see anyone else worthy?" The bubbles in your drink fizzled as you took another sip, scanning for anyone who looked remotely interesting.

"That one." This time the guy had a buzzcut and wore a camouflage jacket, but looked like he was eyeing for any beverages that were unattended in the hopes that he might roofie a naive woman.

"Date rape dude? No thanks. I'll pass." Were there no males in the world worthy of more than a passing glance? The chances seemed slim that you would go home tonight satisfied. Not a single one of these men gave off the impression that they knew anything about proper orgasms.

"I couldn't help but overhear," chimed in a gruff voice from a couple of inches away, its owner an intimidating brunette with tousled locks and a Marlboro cigarette hanging off the edge of his lips. Tantalizing cerulean eyes piercing your soul as he whirled around on the red leather stool, he was definitely up for the challenge. "You said you wanted sex and nothing else, huh? What are the odds you'd say yes to me, love?" The way he uttered the last word sent chills up your spine, and his gaze danced over every curve of your shape as though fantasies were playing out in his brain of all the positions he'd like to contort you into.

"I'm not exactly sure. Give me a couple of reasons." Rule number one: hard to get equals a chase and a man on the path for tail would never give up without a fight. "Is there something that makes you different?"