Chapter One

• Dedicated to Kimberly Parsons

As I drifted through the blackness I began to lose hope of ever escaping it. As that hope started to fade I began to think back on all the good times I’d had during my life, most of which were from my early childhood. One of those memories gave me back all of the hope that had been fading. It was a memory from when I was five years old, and still never failed in making me smile. My brother, Eric, had been seven at the time and had loved to upset me, no matter what the price. This particular time he dared his best friend, Aiden, to behead my best friend. Don’t worry; at that young age my best friend was still a stuffed bear my father had won for me at the carnival the year before. As I was held down and made to watch by my older brother, as Aiden ripped my bear’s head right off. I was so mad and upset… I wanted revenge. I found Aiden’s bunny that he had always slept with and gave it to my dog, which viscously tore it to shreds. After that Aiden and I didn’t speak for a week, which to a five and seven year old was a really long time. Finally after that week, Aiden apologized to me, and I to him. Aiden told me there was no need to worry about his bunny, that I was so cute I could replace it, and to make me feel even better, he told me he would try to replace my bear and protect me as well as he could.

The hope slowly drifted into me, and I searched for someway out, anyway out. Through the blackness I could see a light that was somewhere in the distance ahead of me. As I grew closer, I could hear Aiden whispering to me. “Bunny I’m so sorry.” It was a sad thing to hear, as his voice was laced with sorrow. I knew I had to go back, so I ran towards the light. As I made it through, I began to feel connected with my body. I could move my fingers, which was a great improvement from sitting in the dark by myself.

“Keep talking to her Aiden,” I heard Eric say to him. I could imagine Eric standing at his tall six-foot height, with his dirty blonde hair all messed up, hanging in his face and in the way of his bright green eyes, patting Aiden on the back, as Aiden sat there with no emotion showing except through his grayish-blue eyes, which would only be noticed by those who weren’t starring at his chiseled features and gorgeous, short, dark brown hair. “Talk to her you idiot,” Eric said getting frustrated. “She’s waking up.”

I felt Aiden lean in towards my ear, probably so my brother wouldn’t hear what he was saying. “I should have been there sooner Bunny. I should have protected you. I’m so, so sorry Bunny.” I squeezed his hand to let him know I heard him, I needed him to know that I wasn’t mad, because he did all he could, and I appreciated that. I would always owe him for this. He saved me.

I slowly tried to open my eyes. The light blinded me as I got them open, making me blink several times. “Bear,” I whispered to Aiden. Whenever Aiden called me Bunny he was sad, serious, or was trying to make me feel better in some way, same went for when I called him bear. That memory I’d had while I was in the darkness was the reason, and I didn’t think we would ever get rid of those names for each other.

I watched Aiden look up at my face and saw his face slowly begin to look somewhat relieved. He grabbed me in a bone-crushing hug and said, “You scared me to death Bunny! I thought I lost you!”

“But you didn’t,” I said hugging him back.

“Hey,” Eric said walking towards me. “Don’t I get some love too? I helped save you.”

“You only yelled my name,” I pointed out. “He pulled Joe off of me.”

“I called the police to,” Eric said feeling unappreciated.

“He beat the crap out of Joe.” At that Eric paused and tried to come up with something else. When he couldn’t, Aiden turned around and stuck his tongue out at him. Eric then hit him over the back of the head, which I found very amusing. “Will you two ever grow up,” I asked laughing. Aiden turned and smiled at me while he shook his head. That question made something come to my mind… What happened to Joe… Where were my parents… And if my brother called the police, why was I in my room and not a hospital?

My brother could see the confusion that suddenly crossed my face. “Ask,” he said sitting down in one of the chairs in my room as Aiden let go of me and sat beside me on my bed. I asked him my questions without pausing for breath. He laughed at my lack of air near the end and answered, “Joe was escorted home by two police officers… Mom and dad are still in Europe… And I didn’t think you would really like waking up in a hospital.” So that’s what had happened, I thought. Joe went home, mom and dad were still on their business trips in Europe, with us having no idea when they’d be back, and I’m just at home.

“Did you even call mom and dad,” I asked.

“Yes, but I couldn’t reach them. They already checked out of the hotel Case, they should call in a few days anyway.”

“Don’t they even care about us,” I yelled surprising everyone, including myself. “They left months ago! They are the only people I know who would leave a sixteen and eighteen year old alone in a house for more than just a weekend. I’m sick of them not caring,” I said as I began to feel the tears fall over the brims of my eyes. I missed my parents. No, they were never really there for us, but they were my parents and I loved and needed them. I felt Aiden put his arm around my shoulders and pull me into his chest. I only felt safe two places any more… in my brother’s arms when he would hug me, and right here with Aiden.

COPYRIGHT ALL RIGHTS RESERVED