Diamond of the First Water II

Start from the beginning

"I shall fetch you a glass of lemonade."

"No. You have already done so much for me tonight. I shall take Alina with me. We will be back in a moment." Alina gave Anthony a smile and quickly departed from her husband. 

"I almost envy you, Daphne. I think I would prefer standing and talking to the men then the extremely boring gaggle of the married guest variety." Daphne laughed as they made it over to the small refreshment table and picked up her small glass.

"Did your brother try to keep every man from you like Anthony has?"

"My situation was quite different, love. However, Javier did stare at men like they were target practice." Alina laughed softly at the memory of her older brother's chagrin.

"Small glasses." Alina and Daphne turned quickly to see who had spoken and Alina felt her smile drop instantly at the sight of Lord Berbooke coming closer.

"Lord Berbooke."

"Tiny little things, are they not?" He continued.

"The glasses? I suppose." Daphne said a little unsure of how to get out of this small situation.

"Then the matter is settled." Berbooke exclaimed proudly.

"I'm not entirely sure what the matter in which you discuss, my lord." Alina said finally bringing the odd man's attention to her.

"Ah, Lady Alina Javalera. A pleasure to see you again."

"It's Bridgerton now, my lord.-"

"Yes, yes. How could I have forgotten?" Berbooke ran his eyes over Alina before turning to Daphne once again. "You've always amused me, Miss Bridgerton. Ever since I was a school boy, and you were-"

"All but five?" Berbooke chuckled and Alina felt a chill run down her spine at his creepiness. She had been lucky last season, however she had a feeling that Daphne wouldn't be.

"I do believe I hear Anthony calling you, Daphne. Lord Berbrooke, please excuse us." Alina chimed in and gracefully swept Daphne in the other direction.

"Miss Bridgerton!" Alina tried to quicken their pace. "A moment, please! Miss Bridgerton?" Feeling more like prey as the Berbooke began to follow after them, both girls turned to look behind them for a moment before forcefully running into someone.

"Pardon me.-"

"Forgive me." Daphne and the new man had said at once. Daphne glanced behind her once again to see that Berbrooke continued to fight his way through the room to get closer to where they were.

"Tell me your name." Daphne demanded desperately. Alina's eyebrows rose in shock at the tone.

"Daphne-"

"Your name, sir?" She pressed again.

"Am I honestly to believe you do not already know my name?" The man had asked. Alina frowned at his annoyed but almost obnoxious tone. Daphne looked at Berbrooke once again before laughing boisterously. "If you desired an introduction, madam, I do believe accosting me to be the least civilized of ways."

"Accosting you?"

"Truly they will try anything."

"Sir, that is not...this is not"

"What is your name?" Alina had asked, already having enough of his attitude. There was no reason to be this rude by a complete mistake.

"Basset? Basset!!" Anthony shouted as he came closer to the three of them.

"Bridgerton!" The man, Basset greeted his tone something other than utter annoyance.

"Come here old friend!" Of course Anthony would be friends with someone quite rude. "I heard news of your father. Deuce take it, you are no longer Basset."