Chapter 14 ~ Rebel

Mayella

I yawn and stretch out my limbs before I rub my eyes and open them. My vision is still blurry, but I can see that I'm not in my room. At first I freak out thinking I'm still at the party house and in a guys room. But the more I look around I see it's Reece's room.

I didn't drink last night, but I have vivid memories because I remember being so tired last night the memory faded. All I remember is that Justin invited me to a party and I agreed to go for a little. I was having a good time but Justin was asking me weird questions.

I think I remember Reece coming in at the perfect time to get me. But because I'm stubborn, I told him to leave. Part of me felt relief when he got me out of there though, knowing that he cared enough to come get me.

Was he also at the party? Or was he called?

I look down to see I'm not in the dress I was in last night. I'm in Reece's hockey jersey. I don't know whether or not he changed me, but knowing him, he probably woke up his mom to do it. I can't help the smile that spreads across my face.

I sit out of bed when I freeze. Realizing that my parents don't know. I snuck out after they went to bed. I'm screwed.

I search for my dress but I can't find it so I say screw it and walk downstairs. I can smell the lovely French breakfast Fay likes to make every Sunday before they go to church. I want to walk down there, but I'm nervous to come face to face with any of them.

Maybe I can just sneak out? Yeah I'll try that.

I start my walk to the door but get stopped by a voice. "May!" Fay appears from the kitchen. She smiles at me and hugs me. I hugged her back tighter, grateful that she let me stay here. "I hope you're feeling ok, Reece was worried all night about you." She leads me to the dining room table.

"Everyone already ate, here have some breakfast please." She hands me a full plate of her breakfast, I give her a smile and take the food from her. She sits across from me and watches me eat.

"Just to let you know, Reece went over to your house this morning to let your parents know you stayed here. He told them that you were having a bad night so you came over." She smiles. "My son takes such a liking to you."

🎀

"Mom! Dad!" I call out but don't get an answer. I checked my phone that was almost dead and had a text from mom saying they went to church already but I was able to skip and they left me food in the fridge.

I smile, my parents are always so caring. I know when they come home, I'm going to have to tell them the truth.

I head up to my room and get changed into different clothes. I place Reece's clothes on my desk, doing my best to not smell them. I look at the time and see church has already started so there's no way for me to make it.

I sit on my bed and catch up on some homework. It takes a long time to complete but I know that I will feel better once I get ahead.

Around thirty minutes later I hear the door open and mom and dad's voice coming from the walk in. I sigh but head down. "Hey." I say and they turn to me. Mom smiles at me and comes to hug me. "Hey baby, I missed you."

Dad comes over after and hugs me tighter than mom. "Baby peach, you could have woken us up, But I understand you needed someone your age, I'm glad you went to Reece." He rubs my head.

"Um- I have something to tell you." They both turn as they give me confused looks. I bit my lip and sat down on the arm of the chair. They both sit down on the opposite couch. "I- I snuck out. I went to a party last night and Reece came to get me." I rush out, not making eye contact.

It's silent for a while, I'm forced to look up. Mom looks like she is on the verge of tears? And dad, well his expression is hard to read. I look back down hoping that they will say something before I have to.

"Did you drink?" Dad finally says and I look up, "No! I just went and hung out with a friend. I promise I didn't drink."

He nods and looks at my mom. She looks like she wants to say something. "Why didn't you ask us? We would have said yes." She gives me a disappointed look. I'm not familiar with that look, but I have been faced with it a couple times.

"I know, I just wanted to have the experience of sneaking out once, rebelling." I bit my lip again and looked at them. They are already looking at me. "We are letting it slip this one time! But next time, you get your books taken away from you." Dad says and my mouth shuts.

"Not the books!"

"Yes, the books." Mom says. "Thank you for telling us." I nod my head and head to my room. I lay down in bed thinking about a lot of things. I'm thankful I have understanding parents. I'm thankful that I have a sweet second family.

I'm thankful for Reece. He was the one who brought me home. I smile at the thought of him caring about me.

I bite my lip and grab my phone. I look at Reece's contact number and it's like my fingers have a mind of their own. Next thing I know, I have my phone to my ear. The ring goes on for a while which makes me believe that he is not going to answer.

I then hear his voice on the other line. "Hello?" I bring my phone back to my ear and smile.

"Hey."