Something Exciting

Start from the beginning

"Let's get out of the rain before we talk." The boy frowned, taking off his hat and stuffing it into his jacket in an attempt to save it from the downpour.

Together the trio made their way over to a covered ledge, shuffling through the swarm of other classmates.

"What did you need," Becky frowned.

"I was going to invite you over tonight," Violet giggled. "Tonight is my cousin's birthday party and mom said I could invite someone over."

"Oh um..." the girl looked away, trying to hide the fact that she didn't really want to go.

"A party?" Scoops asked. "How come you're not inviting me?!"

"Well," The girl began, grinning. "The party happens to be Wordgirl themed and..." she looked at Becky whose eyes widened.

"Having you over would make her night!" Violet enthused, clasping her hands together gently.

"That's a great idea!" Her boyfriend smiled, turning to look at Becky.

"Are you in?"

"I um..." she thought for a moment. She felt tired, but Violet looked happy, and her desire to hang out with her best friend outweighed her distaste for being an attraction for a birthday party. "I'll have to ask my mom." She broke down. "What time?"

"7:30" she replied. "Sharp."

Becky nodded, before wishing her friends goodbye. Ever since the two started dating, she felt like she had grown distant from her best friend. Maybe tonight would give her the opportunity to reconnect with her.

Quickly she walked away, feeling a little better about her new position as third wheel. As long as she could still be best friends with Violet, she could manage. Without much of a fuss, she located her mother's car and hopped into the front seat, slamming the door shut.

Her mother smiled upon seeing her daughter. "Hi, sweetie. How was your day?"

"It was good." She replied, giving a half smile.

"Good to hear!" The woman brightened, pulling out of the school parking lot. "I saw you talking to Violet and that other boy... What was his name?"

"Scoops..."

"Scoops." Her mom repeated. "How are they?"

"They are doing well." Becky sighed, staring out the car window. With the way they flirted all day, they had to be doing fine, but the girl wouldn't admit that to anyone. "Violet invited me to come over tonight."

"Sounds fun, what time?"

"7:30"

Her mom smiled. "Alright! You'll only be over for a few hours, right?"

"I'll definitely be back before curfew."

"Awww." The woman smiled, looking over affectionately at her daughter. "You're such a good kid. You've spoiled me."

Becky gave a small smile, feeling a little better.

"When I hear about some of your classmates, it makes me realize how lucky I am to have a daughter like you."

The girl immediately got a guilty feeling in her gut. "My classmates?"

"I was on the phone with Mrs. Mccallister today, when she got a call..." she sighed. "Apparently her son is nothing but trouble."

"Oh really?" She choked out.

"It was awful, apparently he threatened some poor student..." The woman then looked over at her daughter with concern. "If something like that ever happens to you, tell me immediately. I'll take care of it."

Normally Becky would have laughed at the irony of her mom trying to protect her, but she couldn't help but feel bad about getting the boy in trouble, and then immediately jumping to conclusion when he was just doing something that every normal student had done countless times. " Don't worry, mom."

The city passed by quickly through the car window, as the two drove home. For the past year, the rides home had grown monotonous, and unchanging. They would drive through the city center, pushing through crowds of people trying to reach the subway line, looking at all of the oddballs who had come out for the day.

Becky couldn't describe it, but she just didn't feel like being happy. It was almost like she was too tired for it.

The car braked for a single stopline, before pulling out into traffic once more. They were heading for the suburbs, and it wouldn't take long for them to arrive home.

The girl folded her arms on the window ledge, placing her head on top of them. Her mom looked over, still troubled.

"Are you sure you had a good day?"

"I'm just tired." She explained, not taking her eyes off the road passing beside her.

"You've been tired a lot lately..."

"I'm just bored," Becky lulled. "I'm fine."

"Sounds like you need to find something new and exciting to do." Her mom smiled, pulling the car onto their street. "I think going over to Violet's house will be good for you."

The girl sighed, knowing that going over to the party would only make things worse, but maybe her mother had a point. Something new, something exciting. If she found something like that, then maybe she would go back to being the same flawless superhero she had been before.

After a few minutes, the car pulled into the Botsford driveway, and Becky piled out, grabbing her backpack from the backseat. Together the mother and daughter walked into the house, allowing the girl to walk up to her room and prepare for her escapades later that night.

Upon entering her room Becky flopped down on her bed. "Something exciting..." She repeated, staring up at her ceiling before drifting off into a stress induced nap.