Chapter 40

A couple of days after Bucky's arrival passed and all the time that y/n and Bucky spent together seemed normal to Steve and the others, apart from Tony and Peter who knew that there was something between them. 
Also Wanda and Nat suspected something but didn't ask not to be annoying. 
For some reason Bucky and Sam couldn't bond and they used every good moment to make jokes or pranks at the other, trying to piss the other off.
One day during dinner Bucky had decided to scare him, not using jumpscare, objects or anything. 
Just his voice. 
-Romanoff, не могли бы вы передать мне соль, пожалуйста?- (Romanoff, can you pass me the salt, please?) he asked her, as all the team's eyes were on him, but he continued eating like nothing had happened.
-Да, конечно. Но почему мы говорим по-русски?- (Yeah, sure. But why are we speaking in Russian?) she answered, slightly confused, but holding the game for him. 
-Я хочу, чтобы Wilson подумал, что я что-то замышляю против него. Вы знаете, просто для удовольствия. Это никому не повредит, верно?- (I want Wilson to think I'm planning something against him. You know, just for fun. It doesn't hurt anyone, right?) he answered, with a smirk, glaring directly at Sam, who swallowed a little scared when he heard his name coming out of Bucky's mouth. 
-Ты злой, Barnes, но мне нравится эта идея. Нужно что-нибудь еще?- (You're evil, Barnes, but I like this idea. Need anything else?) the widow answered, looking at Sam too, with an amused grin.
-Не сейчас, Nat. Спасибо.- (Not for now, Nat. Thanks.) Bucky answered, smiling as everyone now was looking confused at them.
-Пожалуйста.- (You're welcome.) she smiled innocently, passing him the salt.
-Steve...he said my name. He's planning something to hurt me.- Sam whispered to the blonde next to him, without stopping looking at Bucky, scared that he may stab him, when he would look away. 
-C'mon, stop you two.- y/n said, trying not to laugh at Sam's reaction -Don't worry, Sam, I'm sure that they are just messing around.- she reassured him, before moving her gaze on the two -Nat, what Bucky asked you?- 
-He just asked me for the salt.- she shrugged. 
-Yup, just the salt.- he nodded, rolling his eyes and holding back a laugh as he took it from her hands carefully -Thanks, Natasha.-
-You're welcome, Bucky.- she replied, with a knowing smile turned to y/n. 
-Alright, I'm leaving before the two Russians here kill me. So excuse me and goodnight everyone.- Sam said, standing up. 
-Night, Sam.- all the team said in chorus. 
-Night Wilson, say hi to Redwing for me.- the redhead said, with an evil grin.
-Yeah, say hi...- Bucky made an echo -...If you find it.- he added when Sam had left the room, but somehow y/n was sure he had heard him. 
-Why are you saying that?- Steve asked, turning his face to his friend, in an amused and confused tone. 
-I don't know. I'm just saying.- the brune haired man said, raising his hand in surrender. 
-Well I don't want to know anything about this...story.- Wanda said, moving her hands around, pointing everything -I'm going in my room to watch a movie. Vis, care to join me?- she asked, smiling sweetly at the robot. 
-Sure thing, Wanda.- he smiled, following her as everyone wished them goodnight. 
-I guess I'm going too. It starts to be late. Goodnight.- y/n said, standing up and glaring directly at Bucky, as if to say "come and call me if you need anything", as he gave her a soft smile and a slight nod.
After y/n changed her clothes, she went to bed.
Some hours later, in the middle of the night someone knocked at her door, repeatedly and from time to time it became a little harder. 
-Come in.- she whispered, yawning and sitting up as the door creaked and a figure walked in, shrieving and shivering -Buck? Oh my god. Come here.- she said, recognising him and inviting him to sit on her bed -Everything is fine now, Buck. I'm here. Breath, please.- she reassured him, hugging him tightly as he calmed down a little. 
-T...thank you...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I...- he whispered as y/n's hand took his and patted softly. 
-Don't apologise. It's okay, Bucket. I'm here for you.- she said, as her forehead was leaned against his -You want to talk about your nightmare?- she asked softly, making space in her bed as put his head on her lap, while y/n stroked his hair softly. 
-I...I'm a monster...I...- he stammered -I killed everyone...without mercy...I...-
-Don't worry, it's over now. It was just a dream. You didn't hurt anyone. Alright? Don't think about it, will you?- she asked, sweetly as he nodded a little, closing his eyes, now visibly more calm.
-Thanks, doll.- he whispered, as she bent a little, just to kiss his lips gently. 
Just the fact that y/n was next to him, calmed Bucky immediately. 
He felt that with her by his side he could have dealt with anything and anyone. 
Even those horrible nightmares now that he was with y/n seemed just some far far memories.
Now he felt safe.
-You're welcome.- she said, laing next to him, as they cuddled -Can I ask you something?- she asked, as her head was resting on his chest. 
-Yes, whatever you want to know, sugar.- Bucky answered, fidgeting with some of her hair. 
-The cake.- she said, simply -You said I was for your mom, but now that I think about it, it was your dad who always bought her her favourite cake in that little bakery, next to the school. And your dad died some years after her, so it doesn't make any sense to me.- she explained. 
-Well...I...yeah, okay, it was a lie.- he admitted, scratching his neck, a little embarrassed. 
-So?- y/n asked, curious, raising her head a little, to be able to look him in the eyes.
-So what?- he replied, in a confused tone. 
-So who was it for then?- she asked, with a frowning face. 
-It was for...for you...- he admitted, blushing a little -I wanted to make something special but I failed. If you remember I didn't let you go in my kitchen for like two days and you kept asking why. That's the why.- Bucky explained. 
-Aww, Bucket. That's so cute. Thank you so much, love.- she said, as she snuggled ever closer to him. 
-But I didn't do anything.- he answered, a little ashamed.
-But you tried and that's all it matter.- she smiled softly, as he left some sloppy kisses on her neck.