Chapter 1 - Paimon Out of Water

The ringing in my ears woke me up. I opened my eyes and quickly regretted it. The world spun and there was a spike of pain on the back of my head. My memory was fuzzy. How did I get here? I wanted to sit up and survey my surroundings but I waited for the room to slow. I didn't want to pass out again when I don't know where I am.

As I sat up, the sunlight glare nearly blinded me. I looked down to where I was laying and spotted a pointed rock with a splatter of blood where my head rested. My hand automatically reached to find the wound. It brought it back to my front and the tips of my fingers had been dipped in dark blood. That looks concerning. There goes my chances of being able to sit here until my memories came back. I had to clean up. I scanned for a water source. Twenty feet away sat a pond. Suddenly I noticed everything around me. The sky was a beautiful cyan. Simultaneously deep but, also light enough to bring a smile to the soul that gazed upon it. That is, if that soul wasn't in a bleeding body. The sense of urgency returned and I skipped admiring the carved mountains and emerald grass. As much as I longed to, I longed to live another hour more. I can't die I have to find my brother. The thought popped out of nowhere.

I crawled over to the pond, stumbling every few feet as my weight rested on a pebble or shell that I was too weak to handle. I hoped this was only temporary. This injury made it seem like I was handed a new set of cards and I hoped it was a capable deck. I passed a tool that seemed to be made of a large stick. I immediately scooped water out of the pond. It shocked my hand with the freezing temperatures, despite it's sunlight-cooked environment. Worst case scenario, it will numb the wound. I knew that was most definitely not the worst case scenario but I told myself so anyways.

Gazing into the pool, I realized just how deep it was. Each layer was a slightly different shade, blending from the aquamarine surface to the deepest sapphire you could imagine. As I cleaned my head the color became tainted with a deep red, but as time passed it dispersed and settled back to it's original, gorgeous form. The fish got wind of the change and swum towards the top to search. My stomach growled. The fish! I waded into the water. My splashed warded away the curious fish from their adventure and drove them deeper into their homes. Shoot. I knew I wouldn't catch any like this. My temperature dropped and I turned around in defeat. I would wait for them to resurface and figure something else out. The cold would make it harder to heal. I climbed out and rested on the sand.

As the fish retreated, their other attacker did not. A.. being of unknown species fluttered into the air, gaining height to convert to momentum for their dive. It was combined with a high pitched sound, a supposed battle cry. With a splash, it hit the water and dove deep. The commotion only seemed to scare it's prey away more however and the thing began to swim frantically without an exit plan. My instincts moved my body before my mind could catch up. It swept me over to the strange tool and thrust the metal and string limb into the water after it. The hook seemed to rip into it's clothing, miraculously gripping it. My mind caught up with myself and in a panic I hoisted it out of the water. It didn't seem to live there but, if it does maybe I can eat it. That wasn't very friendly thinking and I instantly scolded myself.

The alien resurfaced and splashed back into the atmosphere. I watched as it moved through the air. It seemed to be getting larger. My stupidity was quickly punished as the larger I perceived was it growing closer. It crashed into me, throwing us both to the ground once more.