Ch.8: So Close

Zoey's POV-

 Running away, I didn't have a specific destination besides being away from everyone. Rounding the corner, I was able to find a vacant spot and leaned my back against the wall beside a few crates. Feeling tears build up in my eyes, I grabbed both handfuls of my hair as I slowly slid down the wall. Feeling the tears run down my cheeks, I shut my eyes tightly. 

You're acting just like him! You're no better than he is! 

I yelled at myself in my own thoughts. Nothing in this world, besides people throwing my mother's past in my face, makes me angrier than when I acted like my father. When I would let my anger get the best of me, I would act just like him. And depending on how angry I'd get, I'd end up destroying things; throwing stuff, breaking things, just absolutely going into a fit of rage. Normally, it would take a lot to get me to that point. When I get angry, it usually starts with me just letting out my frustrations in the ring, then if I'm still upset, I'll lash out, like I did to Rhea.

The overwhelming guilt I was feeling... 

I never wanted to scream at her! I couldn't control myself! Honestly, I'm more surprised that she didn't knock my ass out on the spot! I've never seen Rhea allow anyone to just yell at her and get away with it. 

 Feeling even more upset with myself, I grit my teeth as I punched the crate beside me, only I used my bad arm to do it.

"FUCK!" I shout, holding my wrist to my chest. "Damn it!" I hissed, shaking my wrist out.

"Zoey!!" I heard Rhea's voice call out from down the hall.

I instantly put my other hand over my mouth to keep myself quiet.

"Zoey!" She calls out, her voice sounding closer than before.

Closing my eyes, I continued to stay quiet, I just hoped that she wouldn't find me and would just go away. But that wouldn't be happening...

Feeling her hands on my shoulders, my breath hitched in my throat as I looked up to see a concerned Rhea, who was now crouched down in front of me. I felt a few more tears beginning to run down my face. Rhea carefully reached up and wiped them away with her thumb as her other hand gently caressed the other side of my face.

 What was once fear now turned into confusion. As I mentioned before, I didn't understand why Rhea didn't knock me out on the spot and I'm wondering why she still isn't now. Hell, I would if I were her! There's just no way she wasn't mad at me.

 After wiping my tears, Rhea brushed my hair back, placing her hand on my shoulder and rubbing it gently, never breaking eye contact with me. 

"I'm so sorry," I got out, just barely above a whisper in a shaky breath.

"It's alright, Zoe," Rhea assures me as she places her hand back against the side of my face and runs her thumb across my cheek. 

"Y-you're not mad at me?" 

Rhea looked me in the eyes and paused for a moment. "Just tell me what happened."

"I...I just lost my cool." I reply, feeling the embarrassment all over again. "When I do that, I kind of lose control of myself." I looked back up at Rhea with sincerity in my eyes. "I'm honestly really sorry for screaming at you. You should've punched me in the mouth." Slumping down, I pulled my knees up to my chest.

"Zoey-" Rhea starts as she now sat on her knees, but I cut her off. 

"And you had every right to hit me...why didn't you?" I lifted my head back up at her with a brow raised.